• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Flirting...

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#31 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:48 AM

I wish I knew how to flirt and to identify someone flirting with me....
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#32 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:14 AM

I wish I knew how to flirt and to identify someone flirting with me....

That's just too easy. Kinda like hunt'n cows with a high powered rifle and a scope. So, I won't take the cheap shots that are leaping into my mind.

Instead, I'll go one further, and admit the same wish with the qualification of being married. I still enjoy the attention and the company of women. How do I determine when a woman is flirting that it is well meant and not going anywhere that will leave me in court, penniless with severe burn scars? How do I harmlessly flirt and not come across as being a scum of a husband? Is it even possible?

A few years of observations have made me conclude that it is easier when my wife is present. When I'm on a business trip, dining alone, I'm lucky if a waitress takes my order and returns with the food and a check. If my wife is with me, or now, my grown-up daughter, I get the touching, the smiles, the winks from all the waitresses. To me, this is evidence that "safe" flirting is socially acceptable, and desired by women as well as me.

So - ladies of the board, what is your take? Guys, you can answer too, but I probably won't read them as closely :cheerleader:
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#33 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

good thread topic!

my thought is that actual flirting is seeing where things could go. telling a person in the office or at a party that they look nice is not necessarily flirting. using a different tone of voice and letting your eyes do a little walking is. so you can be nice and converse and laugh, and not necessarily be flirting. maybe the difference is along the lines of being friends, and being friendly...a matter of knowledge and degree.

the one that always gets me is the long intense stare, even if the person is talking about something mundane. i can read more into that than the law should allow...and some things that i know are against the law!

#34 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:37 AM

I am sure I am paraphrasing here, but;

In Isaac Azimov's book, "The Sensuous Dirty Old Man" (and you probably thought he only did Sci Fi), Mr. Azimov states:

A dirty old man will steal glances and peeks at a nice looking woman, but a sensuous dirty old man will not leave any doubt, he will stare unashamedly.

Or something like that. I don't have the book any more, but it came out back when "The Sensuous Woman" was popular.

Edited by Dennis, 12 December 2005 - 09:38 AM.

DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#35 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 12 December 2005 - 11:12 AM

Flirting?? Now who flirts?? Certainly not me.... :anna:

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:06 PM

Flirting?? Now who flirts?? Certainly not me.... :anna:

Darlin', it's getting deep in here.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:22 PM

good thread topic!

my thought is that actual flirting is seeing where things could go. telling a person in the office or at a party that they look nice is not necessarily flirting. using a different tone of voice and letting your eyes do a little walking is. so you can be nice and converse and laugh, and not necessarily be flirting. maybe the difference is along the lines of being friends, and being friendly...a matter of knowledge and degree.

the one that always gets me is the long intense stare, even if the person is talking about something mundane. i can read more into that than the law should allow...and some things that i know are against the law!

Very good perspective...I do think that people 'mistake' flirting for more than what it is and others have to be hit with a 2x4 to realize that you are flirting! It can be rather confusing...:fish:

Guess that means I need to practice more! :diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:45 PM

I do think that people 'mistake' flirting for more than what it is and others have to be hit with a 2x4 to realize that you are flirting! It can be rather confusing...:diver:

Confusing indeed!

Long story short... I participate on another board where I do the occasional *greet*. I received a PM from one of my *greetees* saying thanks, you're cute, good luck with your certification, etc. Not wanting to be rude, I responded politely to the certification enquiry, etc., concluded with a thank you of my own to this guy for joining the board since he added wit, charm and manners to it, but didn't touch the *cute* comment.

I received another chatty PM that I didn't feel the need to respond to. A couple of days later, I get another PM from this character asking me if I have more photos of myself, and if I'd care to share, I was provided with an email address. (:fish:) Well, I didn't want to overreact but his request made me feel rather uncomfortable and I removed my avatar.

I thought about this for a few days and then notified a mod on the board to see if this was a common occurrence. She wrote that it wasn't, felt his behaviour was inappropriate as well and will address it for me.

My point is, I was merely being friendly, I made no reference to his appearance, nor did I feel I encouraged any further reaction beyond my first response to his PM. Apparently he saw the situation differently, or he's just the predatory type.

#39 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 12 December 2005 - 01:49 PM

Caetllonn, I thought you were cute before you posted a photo.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#40 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:00 PM

Caetllonn, I thought you were cute before you posted a photo.

Walter, I may be naive but I'm not stupid... that's not the kind of cute he was writing about.

#41 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:26 PM

What you are referring Caetllonn is definitely a common problem on the internet. You don't want to be rude but you also don't want to open the door to the full blown internet come on. It is hard given that messages on boards tend to be taken to a different level - if you respond, you must be flirting and you must be interested. Of course, this is not always the case.

This being said, however, flirtly is simply a form of human interaction (IMO). Really, it ought to simply be referred to as a form of engaged conversation. As soon as you have engaged conversation with a member of the opposite sex, you are considered to be flirting. If the conversation is with someone of the same sex it is simply considered to be engaged conversation. Given that I believe in engaged conversation, I guess I will always be seen as flirting (much to the unhappiness of my BF...)

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

What you are referring Caetllonn is definitely a common problem on the internet. You don't want to be rude but you also don't want to open the door to the full blown internet come on. It is hard given that messages on boards tend to be taken to a different level - if you respond, you must be flirting and you must be interested. Of course, this is not always the case.

This being said, however, flirtly is simply a form of human interaction (IMO). Really, it ought to simply be referred to as a form of engaged conversation. As soon as you have engaged conversation with a member of the opposite sex, you are considered to be flirting. If the conversation is with someone of the same sex it is simply considered to be engaged conversation. Given that I believe in engaged conversation, I guess I will always be seen as flirting (much to the unhappiness of my BF...)

I totally agree with your "engaged conversation of the opposite sex" statement, Michelle. I think it's generally the men that see it as flirting, rather than the women. I have no problem, or very little problem, with bantering back and forth with someone who seems interesting.

What I didn't like about this exchange was the request for pictures. Whyever would I want to forward pictures of myself to a complete stanger?? :cool1: I simply cannot comprehend the notion.

#43 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:50 PM

What I didn't like about this exchange was the request for pictures. Whyever would I want to forward pictures of myself to a complete stanger?? :cool1: I simply cannot comprehend the notion.

I completely agree!!!

#44 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:12 PM

I completely agree!!!

I agree too, but there are people out there who would send their pictures..

#45 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

And of course had you (or anyone) at that point sent a picture then he/she has your email address and the walls come tumbling down. It's truely best to be reserved while cruising the net. :cool1:
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users