• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How Far is Too Far?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 02:48 AM

It's Ya'll get you all's improper English proper. :)

Remember: You is singular, Ya'll is Plural, You all's is plural possessive. Unless you are refferin' to kin folk, then it's your'ns. IE: How's you and your'ns?

That's just general Southern - ya'll don't want me to explain Cajun! (trust me)
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#32 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:30 AM

Contractions replace letters with '. Example: cannot becomes can't, do not becomes don't, would have becomes would've and you all becomes y'all, but never ya'll.

One person is you, a few is y'all and a whole bunch is all y'all.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#33 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

That's just general Southern - ya'll don't want me to explain Cajun! (trust me)

As one whose dad is from the Crowley/Lafayette area, I can say that it is best to not EVEN TRY to explain Cajun!
-Mitch-

#34 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

One person is you, a few is y'all and a whole bunch is all y'all.

Thank you, Walter! But now let's return this thread to its original topic. I think we've gone too far with y'all and should get back to how far is too far!

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 22 December 2005 - 11:29 AM

It may have run it's course.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 December 2005 - 10:39 PM

Take internet message boards. Although most are NOT dating sites...they do provide a unique venue to really get to know someone for who they are...and not just who they want to be. Its natural to want to present our best side but over time it all hangs out in a community such as this one. It also gives someone a chance to get to know you in a way that they might not of had they merely checked out your profile online.

A person I knew once told me "online you can be anybody you want to be." He, himself, was not who he led me to believe he was. That's one of the things that I like about SD Happy Hours; online we talk and sometimes let it all out, but we also have the opportunity to meet as friends in a safe and fun environment with absolutely no expectations because we're all just divers. :-)

The bottom line is that I don't wish to be sampled and I'm not willing to settle for friends with benefits.

Much :respect: to you, Tina! :)

Thank you Caetlonn. I intend to stay the course on that subject.

With no disrespect intended, Tina, I'm open for sampling! Even remotely due to distance. Oh, I'm just teasing y'all (or is it all y'all as I've been told by a friend who used to play the Texas music circuit?). I must have had too much of them thar holiday "spirits" everyone's been talking 'bout!

Bill...before you spew any more contractions my way, remember - California is my home. The only contractions I was taught to use came straight from my elementary school english book. Living out here it's often difficult to remember that, but I do make more than a modest attempt.

It may have run it's course.

I believe you're right Walter. I've gotten some great information from all of you, and have made my decision regarding how I feel about the distance excuse.

#37 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:27 AM

Contractions replace letters with '. Example: cannot becomes can't, do not becomes don't, would have becomes would've and you all becomes y'all, but never ya'll.

:respect:

Which, of course explains the humor behind

It's Ya'll get you all's improper English proper. :)

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#38 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

With no disrespect intended, Tina, I'm open for sampling! Even remotely due to distance. Oh, I'm just teasing y'all (or is it all y'all as I've been told by a friend who used to play the Texas music circuit?). I must have had too much of them thar holiday "spirits" everyone's been talking 'bout!

Bill...before you spew any more contractions my way, remember - California is my home. The only contractions I was taught to use came straight from my elementary school english book. Living out here it's often difficult to remember that, but I do make more than a modest attempt.

Tina, I hope you didn't take offense at that (the above sounds as if you may have). It was all in humor and not directed at you at all. I mentioned your name simply because your post triggered my attempt at humor. I taught remote sensing at UCSB which was the reason for my "willingness" to be remotely sampled by a woman in general.

Since we've spent time together, I know you are a nice lady in person (as well as on SD) and certainly respect your decision in the matter being discussed.

Edited by drbill, 23 December 2005 - 09:53 AM.

#39 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 28 December 2005 - 09:59 AM

ok, lets see

when i'm in the US i live in Fayetteville NC.

there is nothing there, and its a horrible place to live, but it's where my job is, so i won't be moving anytime within the next decade.

weekdays i get up and leave for work at 6 am.
and return home around 6 pm.

so if someone lives 2 hours away, that means i won't get to their place until 8 pm at the earliest.
kinda late for dinner, but ok. so if i stay for 2 hours, that means i'm headed home at 10 pm, and getting home at midnight, and so haven't had any time to get ready for the next days work.

so no, i'm not realy interested in seeing someone who lives that far away.

ok, so how about weekends.

52 weekends a year.

i'm out of the country at least 6 months out of the year

so that leaves 26 weekends

better be a diver. because the only time i get to dive is .... you guessed it ..... on weekends.

and any diving is a trip. if i dive NC, it takes at least 2 hours to drive to the boat, then a 2-4 hour boat ride out to the site. so even a day trip is realy that, a whole day.
if i decide to go to florida, thats the whole weekend, with more time driving than bottom time, which realy sucks.

so that doesn't leave much time for someone who doesn't dive, and even if they do, it means i won't be seeing them much.

but that is what i like about SD, i get to meet lots of realy cool people, and go diving with them. ;)
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#40 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 28 December 2005 - 11:00 AM

Another great subject Miss Twinklez, but I'm afraid I would disagree with many of the opinions here.

As far as I'm concerned, true love knows no boundaries... save the fears of a faint heart. My congratulations to you for following your heart all the way to Texas, because there are precious few who would have such faith in themselves.

The world keeps getting smaller and smaller every day, yet we limit ourselves by geographic limitations? Is there really a single one among us who wouldn't travel to the ends of the Earth and back again in pursuit of true love? I can't imagine anything in life that is more important... nor can I imagine any obstacle that is too great to overcome. Of course distance will be a consideration when comtemplating HOW you will get to know each other better, but why would it impede the act of pursuing the relationship? We all have friends or family that we may see only once or twice a year, yet we welcome them with open arms and a love that transcends all of the differences in our lives... why would a potential lifetime relationship be any different?

I think the problem is that in this age people are always looking for instant gratification... they feel as if they need to have someone in their life constantly in order to maintain the relationship. Of course eventually that would be the goal, to share a life together side by side, but isn't it okay to invest a little time and effort into learning about each other first... even if it's not as convenient as sharing each other's bed every night? There are so many ways to communicate with each other these days, it would seem easy to me... but yes, it does require some effort. Still... how hard is it to make a quick phone call, send an e-mail or IM... perhaps even mail a card once a week... just to say "Hey, I'm thinking of you always... and each day I spend in anticipation of the next time I can gaze into your eyes and see your smiling soul." I guess I figure, what's the worse that can happen? In most cases, you'll probably end up with a lifetime friend... or perhaps you may drift apart eventually, but isn't your life better because of the experiences you shared?

What about in the days when men went off to war for years at a time and all their loved ones could do was get an occasional letter? I would dare say that there were many sweethearts who didn't give up simply because it was too hard... even if the only comfort they could offer was the simple gift of their words and a lipstick kiss on perfumed parchment.

That's the kind of love I choose to believe in... and no matter what obstacles may impede the way, love will conquer all. I guess what I'm saying is that if you can maintain a truthful, honest relationship with your friends over distance and time, then why would a potential mate be any different?

Just my thoughts.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#41 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:32 PM

Another great subject Miss Twinklez, but I'm afraid I would disagree with many of the opinions here.

As far as I'm concerned, true love knows no boundaries... save the fears of a faint heart. My congratulations to you for following your heart all the way to Texas, because there are precious few who would have such faith in themselves.

The world keeps getting smaller and smaller every day, yet we limit ourselves by geographic limitations? Is there really a single one among us who wouldn't travel to the ends of the Earth and back again in pursuit of true love? I can't imagine anything in life that is more important... nor can I imagine any obstacle that is too great to overcome. Of course distance will be a consideration when comtemplating HOW you will get to know each other better, but why would it impede the act of pursuing the relationship? We all have friends or family that we may see only once or twice a year, yet we welcome them with open arms and a love that transcends all of the differences in our lives... why would a potential lifetime relationship be any different?

I think the problem is that in this age people are always looking for instant gratification... they feel as if they need to have someone in their life constantly in order to maintain the relationship. Of course eventually that would be the goal, to share a life together side by side, but isn't it okay to invest a little time and effort into learning about each other first... even if it's not as convenient as sharing each other's bed every night? There are so many ways to communicate with each other these days, it would seem easy to me... but yes, it does require some effort. Still... how hard is it to make a quick phone call, send an e-mail or IM... perhaps even mail a card once a week... just to say "Hey, I'm thinking of you always... and each day I spend in anticipation of the next time I can gaze into your eyes and see your smiling soul." I guess I figure, what's the worse that can happen? In most cases, you'll probably end up with a lifetime friend... or perhaps you may drift apart eventually, but isn't your life better because of the experiences you shared?

What about in the days when men went off to war for years at a time and all their loved ones could do was get an occasional letter? I would dare say that there were many sweethearts who didn't give up simply because it was too hard... even if the only comfort they could offer was the simple gift of their words and a lipstick kiss on perfumed parchment.

That's the kind of love I choose to believe in... and no matter what obstacles may impede the way, love will conquer all. I guess what I'm saying is that if you can maintain a truthful, honest relationship with your friends over distance and time, then why would a potential mate be any different?

Just my thoughts.

seems your referring more to an already established love...what about the girl/guy you meet on a trip..have a fabulous time with and would really like to know where it could go...your 5 or 6 hours driving time away.... I still say...weekend encounters don't reveal what life with this person would be like.
who's leading this parade anyway?

#42 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:38 PM

so if someone lives 2 hours away, that means i won't get to their place until 8 pm at the earliest.
kinda late for dinner, but ok. so if i stay for 2 hours, that means i'm headed home at 10 pm, and getting home at midnight, and so haven't had any time to get ready for the next days work.

so no, i'm not realy interested in seeing someone who lives that far away.

ok, so how about weekends.

better be a diver. because the only time i get to dive is .... you guessed it ..... on weekends.

so that doesn't leave much time for someone who doesn't dive, and even if they do, it means i won't be seeing them much.

Darling...I can tell ya if I lived 2 hrs from you then I'D be doing the driving! :-D As for diving together on the weekends...DITTO!!!

but that is what i like about SD, i get to meet lots of realy cool people, and go diving with them.

Yep...that's what I'm talking about....meet some fun people...go diving...and well ya never know who you may or may not meet!!! ;)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#43 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:33 AM

seems your referring more to an already established love...what about the girl/guy you meet on a trip..have a fabulous time with and would really like to know where it could go...your 5 or 6 hours driving time away.... I still say...weekend encounters don't reveal what life with this person would be like.

yup, gotta agree with this.

of course that weekend trip was great, but you only get to see a very small part of what a person is like on that trip.

and if they live 5 or 6 hours away. you're only going to get to know them in small bits of time, where again, they will only put forth a small part of who they are.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#44 Neptuner

Neptuner

• Business Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+ and counting!

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

Sorry gentlemen, perhaps my example wasn't the best one, but I was merely trying to portray the power of love and the determination of the human spirit if one is truly inclined to learn more about each other.

I would have to disagree that distance is a factor in the sense that it's not worth even attempting to pursue the connection. If you don't believe you can get to know someone from phone conversations, e-mails, letters and of course the occasional face to face encounter, then perhaps you aren't meeting the right kind of people.

Here's a better example. I've met several friends on different trips with this site and the only time I've spent with them has been during those trips and via electronic communication. If you added the sum total of our hours spent together, it probably wouldn't be more than maybe 3 days... yet I would trust them to come house sit, watch my children, etc. I don't use the term friend lightly, yet I already consider them true friends. Should I simply dismiss them as friends because they live too far away to really get to know them? Some people are so good at heart that they require little more than a first meeting to know just who they are on the inside, so I don't see where distance has a thing to do with it.

Here's another perfect example, that I got to experience firsthand. Two people met on one of the SD trips, yet they lived on opposite sides of the country. Despite the distance challenge, they stayed in touch and managed to learn enough about each other that one of them has uprooted and moved so that they could take their relationship to the next level. My hats off to both of them for overcoming the obstacles that the world presented and finding love in the process.

It's really all about what a person's priorities are. If someone's career and/or geographic location are absolutely cast in stone and they wouldn't even ponder a change, then maybe they would never expect someone else to ponder it either... but even in that case, how do you know they won't? You just never know how life is going to turn or when and where you may meet that special person... so why would I want to immediately exclude the vast majority of the planet simply because they don't live close enough for me to get to know them well? Heck, one of the greatest love's in my life lived in Australia and I never even met her in person. That's not exactly how I planned on things happening, but I wouldn't trade a single moment we shared or the fact that she was a beautiful part of my life and made me a better person in many ways.

Just my thoughts...

Edited by Neptuner, 29 December 2005 - 11:46 AM.

TheScubaCowboy
Buy the special SingleDivers.com version of my SCUBA MUSIC CD "Just A Scuba Cowboy" here for only $15 with savings on multiple copies... each one is personally autographed and it's the perfect gift for divers and non-divers alike!

#45 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 December 2005 - 11:48 AM

AND I will proudly take credit for packing up and moving cross country!!! :cheerleader: The only "issues" thus far IS MY CRANKY CAT!!!!! :cool2:

Nice to see you back Neptuner!!!

Sorry gentlemen, perhaps my example wasn't the best one, but I was merely trying to portray the power of love and the determination of the human spirit if one is truly inclined to learn more about each other.

I would have to disagree that distance is a factor in the sense that it's not worth even attempting to pursue the connection. If you don't believe you can get to know someone from phone conversations, e-mails, letters and of course the occasional face to face encounter, then perhaps you aren't meeting the right kind of people.

Here's a better example. I've met several friends on different trips with this site and the only time I've spent with them has been during those trips and via electronic communication. If you added the sum total of our hours spent together, it probably wouldn't be more than maybe 3 days... yet I would trust them to come house sit, watch my children, etc. I don't use the term friend lightly, yet I already consider them true friends. Should I simply dismiss them as friends because they live too far away to really get to know them? Some people are so good at heart that they require little more than a first meeting to know just who they are on the inside, so I don't see where distance has a thing to do with it.

Here's another perfect example, that I got to experience firsthand. Two people met on one of the SD trips, yet they lived on opposite sides of the country. Despite the distance challenge, they stayed in touch and managed to learn enough about each other that one of them has uprooted and moved so that they could take their relationship to the next level. My hats off to both of them for overcoming the obstacles that the world presented and finding love in the process.

It's really all about what a person's priorities are. If someone's career and/or geographic location are absolutely cast in stone and they wouldn't even ponder a change, then maybe they would never expect someone else to ponder it either... but even in that case, how do you know they won't? You just never know how life is going to turn or when and where you may meet that special person... so why would I want to immediately exclude the vast majority of the planet simply because they don't live close enough for me to get to know them well? Heck, one of the greatest love's in my life lived in Australia and I never even met her in person. That's not exactly how I planned on things happening, but I wouldn't trade a single moment we shared or the fact that she was a beautiful part of my life and made me a better person in many ways.

Just my thoughts...

Known puker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users