• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Florida Dive of the Month!!!

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#76 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:24 PM

Has anyone here at SD dove Venice Beach? I hear about the fossilized shark teeth there, but I also heard it is only 6 feet visibility.
I do drive over to that coast occassionally on business, so I would give it a try if the timing is right.

#77 SeaKat

SeaKat

Getting started

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master and Master SCUBA Diver
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 11 December 2006 - 05:12 AM

Has anyone here at SD dove Venice Beach? I hear about the fossilized shark teeth there, but I also heard it is only 6 feet visibility.
I do drive over to that coast occassionally on business, so I would give it a try if the timing is right.

I've been to Venice Beach several times......the "shark tooth" dive is fun for a change. Very shallow diving: about 20 feet of water..vis is better on some days than others: 30 feet last I was there. And yes, you can collect teeth: I found several, including a Megalodon about two inches across, in perfect condition.

It's a nice way to blow some bubbles....SCUBA School West has a nice operation. The dives are a short way offshore, so you don't spend much time on the boat.

SeaKat

#78 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:13 AM

Six feet of visibility is about average at Venice Beach. Vis reaches a high of about 30 feet (which I've seen once in about 160 dives at Venice) to a low of zero. Measuring visibility in inches is not all that rare. Anything over 10 feet is a fabuolous day. Kamala is planning an SD dive there, but I don't yet have the details. It'll likely be in the summer when we have warm water again. Venice can get terribly cold in the winter. Temps are usually in the low 60s, but during a cold winter, they can drop into the low 50s.

Fossils are plentiful and not limited to shark teeth. On a good dive, I'll find over 100 teeth and I have found more than 500 on a single dive. Some days, you can't find a one, although that is rare. Megs are more common on the deeper sites not easily dived from shore. The most productive site for me has been Alhambra, but I've seen others do very well off Service Club Park and the public beach gets lots of action.

I recommend the dive, it's highly relaxing and can be lots of fun when you're finding teeth. Keep a look out for critters you don't see on most dives - Seahorses, Pipefish, Searobins, Medusa Worms, Calaco Crabs, Mantis Shrimp, Flounder.............
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#79 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 08:21 AM

Does the water get down to the 60's ?

gosh... I would have to buy two or three dry suits and long underwear for that.
I wouldn't know what to do. The coldest water I have ever been in was 76 I think.

What is the water temp likely to be there in December? If it is decent I would
like to try it out. I have another business trip to make this month to that area.

How much 'notice' do people need to make a 'dive of the month' ?
December can be a good time to dive in south east Florida. I went out last year
at Pompany Beach on thanksgiving day. I found a boat that goes out on xmas
day and new years day etc.

How about a fireworks dive ? Anyplace in Florida have fireworks on New Year's Eve ?

#80 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 01:33 PM

Does the water get down to the 60's ?......... What is the water temp likely to be there in December? ....
How about a fireworks dive ? Anyplace in Florida have fireworks on New Year's Eve ?

Those were water temps I was giving. Water temps were in the mid 60s in November. We've had a few cold fronts since then, so temps have likely dropped some more.

I usually bring in the New Year underwater with friends. Sometimes it's a boat dive, sometimes beach. I'll let you know what we're planning as soon as I know. It'll likely be in the Deerfield Beach area and yes, there's always fireworks (or so I'm told, I don't usually surface till they're over).

DSSW,

WWW™

#81 sudsymark

sudsymark

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 26 December 2006 - 08:25 PM

Fireworks from underwater....that's got to be a sight!
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#82 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:09 AM

I don't know, I never remember to look up.

DSSW,

WWW™

#83 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,706 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:52 PM

How much 'notice' do people need to make a 'dive of the month' ?
December can be a good time to dive in south east Florida. I went out last year
at Pompany Beach on thanksgiving day. I found a boat that goes out on xmas
day and new years day etc.

Hey Racer184...got your email...it was delivered late but I'm replying to it now! As for how much time...usually if you can do at least a month or more you are good. That gives people a chance to plan, keep their calendars open and it helps the people organizing it get a good turn out. So its time to plan one for say later Jan or even early Feb. Then we keep them going! I met a number of people at the Fl Dive Show that were eager to help us do some DOM's so I'll try to contact them as well. Walter is going to help us do one to Venice Beach which I want to come on so we'll try to get it set up soon.

Got any ideas for later January? We can also do a boat dive too! Just pick a shore dive or boat dive opportunity or even the Manatees and we'll get it going! SD will negotiate with the boat operator (if we aren't already set up with them) and we'll take care of the financial aspects. You only focus on the fun stuff like who's going! And what you'll do when you get there etc.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#84 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:03 PM

Since it looks like at least Saturday diving is going to be blown out, a dive buddy suggested meeting up for the 1:40 IMAX (Fort Lauderdale) movie, Sharks 3-D . I am planning on going. In case anybody else is landlocked tomorrow and would like to join us, I'll see you there.

This is not an official SD event, but I am tired of sitting out of the water without at least being able to do something close to diving.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#85 Travelgal

Travelgal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:15 PM

HERE ARE SOME GREAT OPPORTUNITES TO DIVE IN SOUTH FLORIDA
IFANYONE IS GOING LET ME KNOW.....I AM LOOKING AT ALL OF THESE
TRAVELGAL

When The Lemon Sharks Arrive --- We Dive

Join Force-E on Sunday February 11th when we dive with the migrating Lemon Sharks. It’s spectacular. We have seen as many as 30 big sharks resting close to the bottom. What a sight. Bring a camera.

The two tank trip departs Riviera Beach Marina at 8:00. You need to be there by 7:30. We’ll bring the coffee and doughnuts. We return back wide-eyed and ready for lunch by noon. Force-E giving everyone that stays for lunch a $7 credit at the restaurant on the docks.

$62 per diver includes morning snack and coffee and lunch. The trip is limited to the first 20 divers who sign-up. Call the Riviera Beach Force-E toll free 866-845-2333 or local 561-845-2333.

Nitrox Certification is Online and On Sale

Now you can earn your Nitrox credentials, as you like when you like. We deliver the class to your monitor anywhere you can find an internet connection.

Just read, watch the videos and take the quiz all online. When you’re ready, stop by one of our Force-E locations and we’ll show you how to analyze the blend and read the charts. Call any of the stores (Links below) for access codes and get started.

Normally the course is $134. This month you can get the whole course for $99. There is no additional charge for anything. Sign up today and go green.

Pompano Beach Store Boca Raton Store Riviera Beach Store

An idyllic Southern Island Dive Vacation $239

The island is Key Largo and the vacation includes first-class accommodations (double occupancy) at the Marina Del Mar Resort, 2 private boat charters for our group doing a total of four dives, tanks and weight. You’ll go back to work on Monday with a tan and great dive stories. The trip is already starting to fill. Try it. You’ll like it.

Saturday and Sunday February 24th an 25th Call Rick in our Riviera Beach store to make reservations. Toll free 866-845-2333 or local 561-845-2333.

Bimini Bound in April. It’s the Bahamas.

Join Boca Bob in Bimini and have more fun than anything else you’ll do this year. It’s just a long weekend but wow! Everything is so good, so cool, so slow and just the kind of adjustment your attitude needs in the spring.

We’ll depart Friday morning from Fort Lauderdale and fly to another world in under an hour. You’ll get a big toothy grin and a warm “Welcome to Bimini Mon. Do you have anything to declare?” as you check through customs. Just reply, “I do declare, Bimini’s got everything I need”.

There will be an old van outside. It’s not broken down. It’s what they call on the island, “relaxed”. The van will take you to the ferry dock where you and your gear will cruise to the hotel dock.

You are staying at the best accommodations in Bimini. The Big Game Club has very nice rooms, two good restaurants and a great bar over looking the harbor. The pool is perfect. Get your suit on. It’s time to go diving. The boat is at your hotel dock.

When you get back from doing two world-class dives, you’ll have the evening ahead of you. Just remember…what happens in Bimini…never happened. Oh ...it’s way better than Vegas.

Saturday and Sunday breakfast is on the house. Eat hardy. You have up to three incredible dives to do today. The water is so clear, the reef so colorful, the fish so big, you’ll be so happy.

Go watch the sun slide into the ocean and see if you can catch the "Green Flash". Turn in early, sit around the pool or return to town for some more celebration.

No diving on Sunday. You need the rest. The ferry will take you back to the airport in the late morning.

What a fabulous trip! Only $595. (double occupancy) April 20 - 22

Call Bob in Boca. Local 561-368-0555 Toll free 866-307-3483. Congratulations. You made the right decision

Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#86 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

Well, it is 12:20 pm Saturday now....
I might be able to make it to the movie... gotta get gas and it is about a 30 mile drive... (plus how do you park in the big city ?)

how do I find you ?

I hope its ok to put a cellphone number here... mine is 561-926-2398

Alan

and I just discovered this on the imax site
Gavin McKinney, Sharks 3D Director of Photography, will give a short presentation after the 12:10 pm and 1:40 pm Sharks 3D film.

Edited by Racer184, 13 January 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#87 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

I was running late, but I did get there just before the show. After, there was also an interesting lecture and slide presentation. Then, a small group of us went for dinner.

Now, if only the wind will calm down to have a shot at diving on Monday. :lmao:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#88 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:16 PM

I hope some of you will be able to make this trip and I can meet some of you. :P I am booked on this trip along with another single girlfriend of mine. You actually beat me to the punch as I was going to post this information as well hoping some of you would be able to make it. For those of you who aren't familiar with the store, the ForceE family is a wonderful bunch of people whom I have traveled many places with and highly recommended. I do know the boat is almost half full so I would call sooner than later if anyone is interested. Hope to see some of you soon! :D

#89 Travelgal

Travelgal

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:236

Posted 16 January 2007 - 03:06 PM

I hope some of you will be able to make this trip and I can meet some of you. :lmao: I am booked on this trip along with another single girlfriend of mine. You actually beat me to the punch as I was going to post this information as well hoping some of you would be able to make it. For those of you who aren't familiar with the store, the ForceE family is a wonderful bunch of people whom I have traveled many places with and highly recommended. I do know the boat is almost half full so I would call sooner than later if anyone is interested. Hope to see some of you soon! :diver:

WHICH TRIP ARE YOU BOOKING?? I WILL CERTAINLY BE LOOKING AT IT AS WELL! I HAVE USED THIS DIVE SHOP MANY TIMES AS WELL AND THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE!
Never make someone a priority in your life who has only made you an option in theirs!

#90 dolphin lover

dolphin lover

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:10 PM

I hope some of you will be able to make this trip and I can meet some of you. :( I am booked on this trip along with another single girlfriend of mine. You actually beat me to the punch as I was going to post this information as well hoping some of you would be able to make it. For those of you who aren't familiar with the store, the ForceE family is a wonderful bunch of people whom I have traveled many places with and highly recommended. I do know the boat is almost half full so I would call sooner than later if anyone is interested. Hope to see some of you soon! :diver:

WHICH TRIP ARE YOU BOOKING?? I WILL CERTAINLY BE LOOKING AT IT AS WELL! I HAVE USED THIS DIVE SHOP MANY TIMES AS WELL AND THEY ARE GREAT PEOPLE!

I will be on the Lemon shark dive for sure. I would love to go to Bimini but I have been there a couple of times, granted it is beautiful over there and I haven't been to the resort they are visiting. I am saving my pennies for the Australia trip! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users