• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Older Women and Younger Men...

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#121 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:18 AM

Maybe I've said this already, but I'm too busy (er, lazy) to look back through this resurrected thread. I don't date older women because we don't have any nursing homes here on the island.

Seriously though, I see nothing wrong with age gaps regardless of which direction they go gender wise. If a relationship is working and both parties are happy, who cares. I prefer dating younger women because they are more likely to keep up with me physically (I'm referring to diving, not my other favorite activity).

#122 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:08 AM

I never dated women my age or younger. I met my wife when I was 17 and she was 26. At the time I was a senior in high school and was dating a law student that was in her junior year at college. I broke up with my girlfriend and started seeing my future wife. We are nine years apart and have been married for 32 years this month.

I could never have had a serious relationship with some one younger than me. They were way to immature. Our families had some issues at first. My parents thought I was involved with a "cradle robber" and her parents thought I was a really bad choice. Funny thing is, out of both families, we are the only "children" that are still married to each other.

Of course these days, my wife would probably get in trouble for being involved with a minor :cheerleader:

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#123 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:37 AM

We are nine years apart and have been married for 32 years this month.

Jim

These days it's hard to stay married at all, but 32 years!!!!! That is wonderful. :cheerleader:
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#124 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

I am by no means an expert in relationships... hell, I have spent my entire adult life (and by adult i mean age.. if you ask my most recent "ex", she'll probably tell you I am 14) running away from commitment... In my experience, women I have dated my age (30's) and older have all wanted to settle down in one way or another... I will be the first one to admit I am a somewhat selfish and immature (whenever I can be) person who likes playing in a rock band, getting tattoos, diving as much as i can, and picking up my belongings and moving to a different country (or continent) every 3-4 years... plus the fact that I don't want kids (the only kids I like are my nephews)... so in conclusion, older women don't like me because I am too much of a freak... but I still think they're hot!

wow.. that was just a torpedo vomit of nonsense. :cheerleader:

#125 shawnabbott

shawnabbott

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:35 PM

I am by no means an expert in relationships... hell, I have spent my entire adult life (and by adult i mean age.. if you ask my most recent "ex", she'll probably tell you I am 14) running away from commitment... In my experience, women I have dated my age (30's) and older have all wanted to settle down in one way or another... I will be the first one to admit I am a somewhat selfish and immature (whenever I can be) person who likes playing in a rock band, getting tattoos, diving as much as i can, and picking up my belongings and moving to a different country (or continent) every 3-4 years... plus the fact that I don't want kids (the only kids I like are my nephews)... so in conclusion, older women don't like me because I am too much of a freak... but I still think they're hot!

wow.. that was just a torpedo vomit of nonsense. :birthday:

well, don't be so shy and tell us about yourself... :cheerleader:

#126 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 January 2008 - 08:28 PM

OK, I can't help but jump in on this one. The older woman/younger man thing has kind of taken me by surprise in the last year or so (pleasantly I might add). I've dated a few men that were younger in the past and usually it was me that had a problem with it. I always thought they were kidding themselves that they didn't want more children (Mine is grown and I'm good with that!). When I let one really great one go because of that, and then a few years later ran into him and he told me that it really wasn't an issue for him and he wished I had been honest with him about it - I kicked myself. I've recently dated 2 different men that were 11 years younger and frankly, it hasn't been an issue.

I really prefer men about my same age, just because of the common life experiences, etc., but hey, older, younger, same age . . . I've learned not to discriminate - it just limits your options!
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#127 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:15 PM

well, don't be so shy and tell us about yourself... :D

nah.. im not really all that interesting... unless you were being cynical... in which case I am the most interesting person in the whole world... possibly the universe!

#128 diverdeb

diverdeb

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,650 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Foundations Instructor, DCSI
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:39 PM

well, don't be so shy and tell us about yourself... :D

nah.. im not really all that interesting... unless you were being cynical... in which case I am the most interesting person in the whole world... possibly the universe!

:P
As for me, I'm feeling pretty scubalicious. 

#129 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

OK, I can't help but jump in on this one. The older woman/younger man thing has kind of taken me by surprise

I don't know if I did that right?!. Surprised Me Too!! I have had a lot of people trying to fix me up with younger men, I did not now how to respond to that, I've ended up just staring into space. I still don't know what to think, sometimes as the joke in my office is, "I need someone that can keep up with me." Then too, the life experience thing. I'm thinking about the cake and eating it too.

pmarie

#130 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:09 AM

OK, I can't help but jump in on this one. The older woman/younger man thing has kind of taken me by surprise

I don't know if I did that right?!. Surprised Me Too!! I have had a lot of people trying to fix me up with younger men, I did not now how to respond to that, I've ended up just staring into space. I still don't know what to think, sometimes as the joke in my office is, "I need someone that can keep up with me." Then too, the life experience thing. I'm thinking about the cake and eating it too.

pmarie

I heard about a book that asks the question "What would you do if you had 30 days to Live?" Which could be a good Thread Starter. I say....... Hey girl, go for it......enjoy your life!!!

#131 damselfish

damselfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Wreck, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

Well Demi and Ashton seem to be a very happy couple, don't know if he'll stay happy if she can't have any more kids. I dated a guy last year 8 years younger but he wanted kids and I was DONE (have older kids and want to get my life back (scuba, traveling ect). Needless to say it didn't work out. So it depends on where you both are in life and dreams/goals.
Ain't love a BEACH?

#132 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

I dated a guy last year 8 years younger but he wanted kids and I was DONE (have older kids and want to get my life back (scuba, traveling etc). Needless to say it didn't work out. So it depends on where you both are in life and dreams/goals.

Yep, it works the other way too of course. I'm through sewing my wild oats (fortunately only one landed on fertile ground, but he's great). I do meet younger women (included some well into their 40's) who still want more kids which is a deal breaker for me. If they already have them, and their approaching their "release date," that's not a major issue.

#133 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 06:28 AM

It's funny, but this came up at work last night.
I work with all men. Some older and some young.
One of the younger guys, age 27, asked my opinion on dating older women.
He is dating a 37 year old with 2 kids. He has never been married and has no children.
That is the first thing I asked him about. Did he want children and did she want any more?
He said that's what he had a problem with. Yes, he does want kids and NO he does not want to raise hers. He said he was going to break it off with her. Then asked me what to say to her. I said, well you could be honest. He just laughed.....said I can't tell her that!!!

Can a person really tell this kind of truth and it not be too hurtful?????

#134 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 05 January 2008 - 07:44 AM

I've been in three serious relationships where my partnet 5 to 10 years younger than I. The age was never an "issue". I think it just depends on the couple. It's more important to find people compatible you beliefs, lifestyle etc. than to worry about a few years in age either way!

#135 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 05 January 2008 - 10:33 AM

I have a dive buddy that I was interested in developing a romantic relationship with despite the fact she was nearly half my age. We had a lot of fun together, both underwater and topside, but never progressed further... probably due to my "shyness" (me?) in initiating anything. The owner of her dive shop came back from 6 months in Florida and they were an item within minutes. He's older than I am, but even I can see they are a match made in heaven. They are so right for one another, that have to sit back and admire their interaction.

I don't see age as much of a factor except over the issues of children, and different retirement/life stages. I've said I'd never date a non-diver. Even that barrier may be surmountable as I have been corresponding with a charming, very intelligent woman and we have decided we are ready to meet and see if we might enjoy dating one another. Will this mean the end of Dr. Bill's diving career? Not on your life.

Edited by drbill, 05 January 2008 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users