• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Older Women and Younger Men...

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#106 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 February 2006 - 10:28 AM

Well, Thus far I have had "requests" per say to come to Houston, so I will have to make a road trip down there to hang out a time or two. :D

Well,

you need to come to a Dallas Happy Hour first! So, your presense has been requested here in Dallas as well

#107 Vessper

Vessper

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Rescue
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 25 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

I will be at the Dallas Happy Hours any chance I get. This weekend just happened to fall upon a lake weekend for training.

#108 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:06 AM

FYI I am currently involved with a nice guy 18 years my junior. I know it could end at any time, but we're sure having fun in the meantime. :)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#109 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:41 AM

FYI I am currently involved with a nice guy 18 years my junior. I know it could end at any time, but we're sure having fun in the meantime. :birthday:

Some of my favorite past relationships were with older women, however now I need to consider whether an "older woman" can keep up with me! :birthday:

:) :twist:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#110 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:17 AM

I do not look my age (mostly I get mid to late 30's as the guess for my age), so that most of the guys that hit on me lately are about 8-10 years younger than my 49 yrs. I even horrified one 31 year old recently who when I broke it to him that I just couldn't go there as I was old enough to be his mom. When I have decided to go there with a not-that-much-younger (8-10 yrs younger) guy, I have found that while he may have stamina, he often lacks finesse. The lack of finesse may be mainly due to his more limited life experience, but hey, maybe I just have higher expectations. Hence, in the lover department, I must say that the men that have been able to totally rock my world in the physical sense are always several years older than me. I chalk that up to things learned coming of age in the much more liberal 60s and 70s. I definitely have a preference for men that are well-travelled, well-educated, and with some varied life and sexual experiences. But I will give the younger guys credit - they don't dilly-dally about making the first approach and are not mean when you turn them down. They just move on down the line but are nice the next time you see them. Also, it is very possible that I have selected the wrong younger guys.

Edited by lgrahamtx, 06 April 2006 - 09:57 AM.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#111 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:43 PM

One of the hottest women I've ever dated was 10 years older than I. It didn't work only because I wanted a family and she was past the age ... other than that she was perfect.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#112 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 06 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

FYI I am currently involved with a nice guy 18 years my junior. I know it could end at any time, but we're sure having fun in the meantime. :D

Some of my favorite past relationships were with older women, however now I need to consider whether an "older woman" can keep up with me! :P

:cool2: :cool1:

hmm...I think your backing up :P
who's leading this parade anyway?

#113 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:38 PM

One of the hottest women I've ever dated was 10 years older than I. It didn't work only because I wanted a family and she was past the age ... other than that she was perfect.

What's wrong with adoption? There are many agencies these days which will let older people adopt.
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#114 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 08 April 2006 - 04:36 PM

What's wrong with adoption? There are many agencies these days which will let older people adopt.

Another topic, but I know that I could use myself for an example.

A few years ago, children would have been my goal and if I would have settled down, I would have started right about now.

Now, by the time that I was sure that I wanted to raise children with a particular woman (which would take a few years before I could be that certain of our relationship) and got married to her and all of the other things that I consider necessary to properly raise children, I would be in my early fourties. I really don't feel that putting a child (adopted or not) through college in my late fifties would be responsible of me. By then, I need to be thinking of saving for retirement and settling into the empty nest.

Unless things change drastically (that's why I never say never), the only way that I will be a father is to be a stepfather. And, I am not certain that I am not too set in my ways to even do that. I love children, but I already have the "uncle" mentality of how nice it is to have time to myself and my significant other (when I am actually seeing someone).

I know that I am not the only person here (male or female) who happens to have these feelings. I just feel like I passed the best opportunity which would have been in my mid-twenties and early thirties to start a family involving children. This isn't a bad thing. It is simply the life of a single guy who didn't really start dating seriously until his late twenties (to a 42 year old woman) and really isn't ready to start dating again now.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#115 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:02 PM

Well, my parents were in their mid 50's when I was in college. My parents were usually on the older side of my friends' parents. There was some disconnect in high school, what high school girl doesn't fight with her mother? But as I've gotten older, my relationship has only gotten stronger with my parents.

As for the timing issue, it is my life story. I'm always dating someone in another state. I meet someone amazing and then either he moves or I move. I left a great guy in CT, but I don't see myself moving back there and he would never leave CT.

And the second thing is that my career always seems to get in the way of things. It's important for me to be independent and have my career, but at what sacrifice? After my last year of business school I'm hoping to finally put some time into some sort of relationship. I have to meet the guy first :) But I definitely want to have a family and I hope that I can establish myself in my career at an earlier enough age that I can do that.

It's fun to go out and hang out at a bar with a bunch of friends. I also love to dance. But I've noticed over the past couple years that I don't enjoy it as much. I still enjoy the special occasions: birthdays, end of the semester parties, and celebrating GREAT news. But now prefer the quieter scenes and hanging out with my friends more than the location.

Time seems to be slowly creeping away. My 26 year old cousin is getting married a week before my 27th birthday. Everyone in my family thought I would be first! I can't even maintain a decent relationship. It's frustrating getting the continuous emails of "I'm engaged" from my friends. But I guess I'm just at that age.

Victoria :banghead:

#116 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:14 PM

Time seems to be slowly creeping away. My 26 year old cousin is getting married a week before my 27th birthday. Everyone in my family thought I would be first! I can't even maintain a decent relationship. It's frustrating getting the continuous emails of "I'm engaged" from my friends. But I guess I'm just at that age.

Victoria :banghead:

You'll feel a lot better when you start getting those "I'm getting a divorce" e-mails from these friends starting in a year or two. Pessimist, me? I prefer to think of it as being realistic.

#117 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:50 AM

I wouldn't get to worried about that. I am getting married for the first time at 30 and my SO is older than me. It took me a long time to find her but persistance pays off.

You'll feel a lot better when you start getting those "I'm getting a divorce" e-mails from these friends starting in a year or two. Pessimist, me? I prefer to think of it as being realistic.

Hmmm I tink you are being pessimistic, but them statisticly 100% of divorces begin in marrage. However I should point out that I am sure with statistics and averages you could prove that with one foot in the freezer and one foot in the oven, on the whole you could be quite comfortable. :banghead:

#118 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:37 PM

Another topic, but I know that I could use myself for an example.

A few years ago, children would have been my goal and if I would have settled down, I would have started right about now.

Now, by the time that I was sure that I wanted to raise children with a particular woman (which would take a few years before I could be that certain of our relationship) and got married to her and all of the other things that I consider necessary to properly raise children, I would be in my early fourties. I really don't feel that putting a child (adopted or not) through college in my late fifties would be responsible of me. By then, I need to be thinking of saving for retirement and settling into the empty nest.

Unless things change drastically (that's why I never say never), the only way that I will be a father is to be a stepfather. And, I am not certain that I am not too set in my ways to even do that. I love children, but I already have the "uncle" mentality of how nice it is to have time to myself and my significant other (when I am actually seeing someone).

I know that I am not the only person here (male or female) who happens to have these feelings. I just feel like I passed the best opportunity which would have been in my mid-twenties and early thirties to start a family involving children. This isn't a bad thing. It is simply the life of a single guy who didn't really start dating seriously until his late twenties (to a 42 year old woman) and really isn't ready to start dating again now.

hmmm...so we pass on something that is "almost perfect" in search of "perfect"....yet you refer to the possibility of it happening again....maybe if anyone finds almost perfect it should be counted as a blessing...its a he**** of alot better than "it will do" or "all I can get"...

#119 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 08:39 PM

FYI I am currently involved with a nice guy 18 years my junior. I know it could end at any time, but we're sure having fun in the meantime. :diver:

Some of my favorite past relationships were with older women, however now I need to consider whether an "older woman" can keep up with me! :lmao:

:banghead: :dance:

UHHMMM...think Ive replied to this before but will again ...Im sure many of us can and some probably cannot.....but there are younger men that can't keep up with us....so...guess it's back to that individual thing.

#120 Jball171

Jball171

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:wait, I'm supposed to keep track??

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

Being 22, It's not hard to find women older then me. It just seems to only happen when I'm taken and not willing to act on it. I actually prefer to date older women since they don't usually have issues with drama as much as the ones closer to my age. The oldest I've dated was 14 years my senior, and it went fine right up until I was transferred. Having two kids, she couldn't move to where I was. As far as I'm concerned, age is not an issue. It's the maturity level that makes or breaks the relationship. If there are constant arguements over stupid little things, it just makes both people unhappy. I made the decision about a year ago not to deal with the constant drama. Either we hit it off and get along, or it won't go any further.

Right now though, I'd be happy just having someone to spend time with no matter what the (legal) age. Central Arkansas isn't exactly the party capitol of the world.....
I've really gotta get a dry suit so I'm not stuck on the shore this time of year.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users