• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TSA

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 French Frog

French Frog

Getting started

• Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Cert Level:CMAS 3* - TDI advance wreck, deco procedures...

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:03 AM

Last trip to DC in September, back to Europe.
When I arrive to pickup my case, I see it coming with two long lines of soctch tape tagged TSA.

WTF...?
One of the lockers jammed. It was not locked. But they BROKE it, left a little card saying that they're not responsible for the damage done. Damnit as if my phone number wasn't on the case...

The worst part is that the key of my car was missing. My key box was there, open with all my keys exept that one.
500 US$ to replace, including the re-coding of the electronic circuits.

The funny part is the scene where you're standing, befuddled, at nigth, on your empty employer car parking, with two weeks of clothes awaiting to be cleaned up scattered all around you, searching for that damn key, in the middle of a jet lag.

I'll still fighting with the insurances to get it refunded.

#32 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 October 2008 - 04:00 PM

FF

no the airline and TSA still have liability, they just dont want to admit it, and will do everything they can to avoid paying the claim. TSA is still trying to spin that one of there screeners got busted for stealing a ~50K broadcast camera and trying to sell it on ebay, along with hundreds of other items, and is now facing 100+ felony grand theft charges. This case has proven counter to what TSA has been saying for years that they werent responsible for items missing from baggage and that it was baggage handlers despite a massive spike in thefts since TSA came into being.

File the claim against both through the normal channels and if that doesnt work file a claim in small claims court against the airline, and TSA. when/if you file the claim get the name of the TSA Federal Security Director (FSD) from your departing airport and Edmund "Kip" Hawley(head of TSA) and put there names on the claim with SCC. Small claims court is the easiest way to get claims resolved that involve small amounts.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#33 hambergler

hambergler

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:475

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:41 PM

TSA screening is a joke, just like screening was before 9/11. I don't even bother bagging the "liquids" in my toilet kit anymore (toothpaste, pit stick, etc.)--they don't notice. Screeners aren't looking hard enough and are just smoking and joking morons--like it was before. I predict a tragedy unless they get their poop in a group. I just hope I'm not on THAT plane...
I'm growing older but not up,
My metabolic rate is pleasantly stuck.
Let those winds of time blow over my head,
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead.

#34 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:29 PM

Coming from a country that has lived with urban terrorism for decades, and having flown into or through the US many times since, including just a few weeks after 9-11, I have always found the efforts at imposing and enforcing security laughable. At least they would be if the subject weren't so serious. When I flew into and then out of Miami in December 2001 I was frisked something like eight times, and asked to show my passport each time. It got very irritating, as it was obvious the people doing it weren't thinking about what they were doing and were't being thorough. I could have been carrying any number of offensive weapons and I'm sure they wouldn't have found them. The term "headless chickens" came to mind. Since then I have missed an internal flight but my baggage went without me - lucky it didn't contain a bomb! And as if they don't have enough people to screen at the main entry points such as Miami and Houston, some bright spark thought it would be a good idea to process everyone as if they were an immigrant, even if they're getting on the next flight out and could quite easily be kept in a secure area and not processed at all.

If you want to see how it can be done, very effectively but fairly unobtrusively, go somewhere where they've been dealing with the problem for a long time. Britain for example, but the best instance has to be Israel. No headless chickens there.

And yes, I've had stuff taken by TSA in front of me, and later found stuff missing from my bags. If you wanted to be a thief and prey upon airline passengers, where better than to work in TSA?

#35 Diver Phil

Diver Phil

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW&EAN
  • Logged Dives:55+

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:02 AM

Does anybody have any experience transporting an open bottle if liquor in your checked baggage? I am bringing a bottle of homemade lemoncello with me on a trip. I am going to risk it anyway and report back later :)

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 April 2014 - 01:57 PM

Does anybody have any experience transporting an open bottle if liquor in your checked baggage? I am bringing a bottle of homemade lemoncello with me on a trip. I am going to risk it anyway and report back later :)/>

Just seal it with tape i.e. packing tape and pad it well and you are fine. I have transported unopened bottles of booze and opened ones before. They just want to be sure it won't leak so I tape the heck out of it and its fine.

I hope you have the same experience!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#37 Diver Phil

Diver Phil

Getting started

• Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW&EAN
  • Logged Dives:55+

Posted 23 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

The bottle is a porcelain and rubber clamp end bottle. I wrapped and taped a ziplock bag over the end, and then put in a garbage bag and wrapped it in my clothes. I hope I have as good as an experience as you did WW.

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:20 PM

The bottle is a porcelain and rubber clamp end bottle. I wrapped and taped a ziplock bag over the end, and then put in a garbage bag and wrapped it in my clothes. I hope I have as good as an experience as you did WW.

Should be ok and it won't be obvious that its liquor either. Let us know how you fare~! And please DO send the recipie for homemade lemoncello!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#39 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 24 April 2014 - 09:07 AM

Does anybody have any experience transporting an open bottle if liquor in your checked baggage? I am bringing a bottle of homemade lemoncello with me on a trip. I am going to risk it anyway and report back later :)/>

Oct 2008, I took a SD friend, a couple bottles of bourbon, as western liquor is quite expensive in the far east. I took the honest approach, took a picture of the bottle, taped it to the outside of the bubble wrap, so TSA wouldn't unwrap it. I did have to lie, when the customs agent in Bali asked if I had brought any liquor into the country. Other wise the packaging was intact when I unpacked my dive bag.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users