• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

DISCUSSION... The apex of diving...the Galapagos!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
433 replies to this topic

#376 running_diver

running_diver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 11 March 2008 - 07:21 AM

This trip is gonna rock! If you know anything about D-SLR, I'm preparing for a trip of a lifetime (photos). Any insight is appreciated, otherwise, seatbelts fastened...
SoCalBruin.

Galapagos is more of a video place than a still photo place. Most of the time, you'll want the widest angle lens you can afford. With most D-SLR cameras, the sensor is not quite 35mm, so the net effect is to make lenses longer. So you want a even wider angle lens than with a film 35mm.

I went to Galapagos many years ago with a Nikonos V and a 20mm lens. I'm not a very good photographer, but even though I took about 60 photos of whale sharks, I didn't get one I liked. The problem was that with a 20mm lens to get a good portion of the whale shark into the frame, I had to back away to the point I was out of strobe range. I also had a new strobe and hadn't really figured out how to use it yet.

I've switched to a little digital point and shoot. I like it because I can just tuck it into my cumber bun and forget about it. I don't expect to get many good still pictures of hammer heads and whale sharks, but I will make good use of the video feature. The other great thing about it is that I can take something like 500 photos before I fill the memory card. That means I don't have to open it after every dive, which means less time messing with o-rings.

So my advice is wide angle lens, the biggest memory card and the best batteries you can get. Then just take lots of pictures. Some of them will come out. It looks to me like one of the other people on this trip (sorry, I've forgotten who) really knows his way around a camera and has also been to Galapagos before. I'd PM him and see what hints you can get.

Ross

#377 SoCalBruin

SoCalBruin

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Logged Dives:70+

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

This trip is gonna rock! If you know anything about D-SLR, I'm preparing for a trip of a lifetime (photos). Any insight is appreciated, otherwise, seatbelts fastened...
SoCalBruin.

Galapagos is more of a video place than a still photo place. Most of the time, you'll want the widest angle lens you can afford. With most D-SLR cameras, the sensor is not quite 35mm, so the net effect is to make lenses longer. So you want a even wider angle lens than with a film 35mm.

I went to Galapagos many years ago with a Nikonos V and a 20mm lens. I'm not a very good photographer, but even though I took about 60 photos of whale sharks, I didn't get one I liked. The problem was that with a 20mm lens to get a good portion of the whale shark into the frame, I had to back away to the point I was out of strobe range. I also had a new strobe and hadn't really figured out how to use it yet.

I've switched to a little digital point and shoot. I like it because I can just tuck it into my cumber bun and forget about it. I don't expect to get many good still pictures of hammer heads and whale sharks, but I will make good use of the video feature. The other great thing about it is that I can take something like 500 photos before I fill the memory card. That means I don't have to open it after every dive, which means less time messing with o-rings.

So my advice is wide angle lens, the biggest memory card and the best batteries you can get. Then just take lots of pictures. Some of them will come out. It looks to me like one of the other people on this trip (sorry, I've forgotten who) really knows his way around a camera and has also been to Galapagos before. I'd PM him and see what hints you can get.

Ross

Hey Ross,
Thanks for the insights. This reduces the steep learning curve regarding underwater photography in general. If you (or anyone else) has some input, I'm all ears. My D-SLR tech co-workers (non-divers) have already gave their two cents. My perspective: This is a one-shot trip, so make the most of it. Have a budget, but don't be caught years later saying I should have...
Mike
SoCalBruin

#378 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:28 PM

Scubawishes thank you for the thoughtful questions. First singing our waiver does not release your rights against the carriers for trip interruption, cancellation, delay etc. This is what you are buying the insurance for. Secondly should you be hurt by the carriers neglegance your lawyer will sue them regardless of any forms signed or not signed. I would have to check with our lawyers as to why we had the particular clause but at the time it made sense. Most people do not have us book their travel even though we do the main trip for you. I would not worry about the clause.

p.s. still in Utila so comprehension is not at full speed.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#379 running_diver

running_diver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:38 AM

Hey Ross,
Thanks for the insights. This reduces the steep learning curve regarding underwater photography in general. If you (or anyone else) has some input, I'm all ears. My D-SLR tech co-workers (non-divers) have already gave their two cents. My perspective: This is a one-shot trip, so make the most of it. Have a budget, but don't be caught years later saying I should have...
Mike

I'm convinced at least one or two people going on this trip are better photographers than I am. I'm sure you can learn more from them than you could for me. I took an underwater photography class on the Fiji Agressor. That's where I learned what little I know.

The key to all photography is light. I used to think more was better because you could just adjust the f-stop. I learned brighter isn't necessarily better the hard way. The major problem I had with the strobe I took to Galapagos was that it was too bright. Once I figured out to turn the power down, things worked much better. With digital, you will get immediate feedback which should make things easier.

The difficulty of underwater photography is that the water is not as clear as the air, there is less light, and it's hard to hold still.

To solve the first problem, you get closer to your subject. The closer you can get, the less of the stuff floating in the water will appear in your photo. Hence you want a wide angle lens. For Galapagos, you'll want to take pictures of big things. So you will want a really wide angle lens, maybe even a fish eye lens.

To solve the second problem you want to use a strobe on virtually all underwater photos. The problem is if you are too far from your subject, all a strobe will do is light up the stuff floating in the water. So you need to get close to your subject. You also need the correct power on the strobe. You don't want to wash out everything. I can't think of a way to properly light a whale shark without using multiple strobes held by multiple divers. Your strobe also needs to light up enough of an angle so that the entire frame is light, not just the center. If you are using a fish eye lens, you will likely need to do something with your strobe.

For the third problem you need to keep your shutter speed relatively high. I was taught that you can get away with 1/60th of a second, but not much slower than that. A high shutter speed also means you need more light.

The rest is a matter of framing, which is where most of the artistic part comes in. You want the main subjects to be in focus, but not necessarily anything in the background. Silhouettes only work if there is enough contrast. The final thing is if you point your camera up underwater, the background tends to be blue. If you point it down, it tends to be black. Underwater photos tend to be better with a blue background, so during the day, you usually want to point your camera up.

The best advice I can give is to practice with your camera before you go. IIRC, northern California waters are a little darker than Galapagos, so southern California waters should be about right. Try taking pictures of big things like the kelp forest as well as little things like nudibranchs and jewel snails. I did use my macro kit while I was in Galapagos and have a couple of good photos of sea horses.

Ross

#380 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Okay Kamala, I'm in!

I got: fins, mask, snorkel, gloves, booties, and the rest is negotiable given current airline travel restrictions.

I'm looking for: Nitrox, rentals, as much above water time as possible, extended stay...

Help me make it work. Thanks!

Mike

Hey Mike that is great! I think you got the last regular cabin or did you want the Owner's Cabin? We should have a nice 'above water' max experience between the sighteeing and tours BEFORE the trip but also with the optional tours ON the trip.

This should be a great balance of 'above and below'! :)

I'll get you on the 'Checks & Docs" in the mail list. Please reveiw the payment schedule in the first post so you'll know where we are payment wise. Don't forget the boat requires trip insurance and we have 2 links for insurance in the main post at the end of the posting.

Scubapunk or one of the trip coordinators will help you with the documents if you need assistance. Kamala

Thanks,
Can someone help me out with a check list of things I need to do, and vice versa. I'm open to either cabin, so whatever works out the best for all involved is fine with me. Thanks.
Mike

Great,
The proverbial check is in the mail. It should cover the vast majority of the trip, and let's work out the remaining details/balance.
Mike

Another Southern Californian!! Welcome.

Rosa

Thanks Rosa,
SoCalBruin.

I am so sorry. I still use a simple digital point and shoot and have not yet learned to adjust the more complicated options on my camera like white balance etc. But Ross gave several pointers and I am sure others will chime in with more info...

#381 ScubaShafer

ScubaShafer

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT
  • Logged Dives:2460

Posted 16 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

SoCalBruin.

Ross

Good info Ross. However, in Utila they did not allow the use of any flash or strobes while photographing whale sharks, and we were not allowed within 15 feet of the creatures. From personal experience several years ago in the Galapagos, my flash made the whaleshark flinch, so I stopped using the flash on whale sharks. I'd rather have them around to observe than to scare them off with a strobe.

You can also set your ASA to a higher setting which results in needing less ambient light on your subject to capture the image. Check out the latest whale shark images made with a non-SLR and no flash/strobe on the Utila Trip thread.

Bruce

Edited by ScubaShafer, 16 March 2008 - 07:58 PM.

It's a GR8 day to be alive!

"Good things come to those who wait." Heinz - 1980s
"Good things come to those who wait." Guinness - 1990s
"Good things come to those with weights." ScubaShafer - 2008

#382 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:43 AM

Payment Update:

1. Karen aka ScubaWishes ww got your balance of your land pkg $3195 ck. :birthday:

2. Mike aka SoCalBruin ww got your ck for $4500 towards trip/nitrox/tours of $4578 leaving a $78 balance. :cool1:

#383 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 04:55 AM

Document Update:

1. Karen aka ScubaWishes ww got your waiver and EV application (please make sure you fax it to EV as well)
:birthday:

#384 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Certification
  • Logged Dives:200ish

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:59 AM

Thanks,
~K

Scubawishes thank you for the thoughtful questions. First singing our waiver does not release your rights against the carriers for trip interruption, cancellation, delay etc. This is what you are buying the insurance for. Secondly should you be hurt by the carriers neglegance your lawyer will sue them regardless of any forms signed or not signed. I would have to check with our lawyers as to why we had the particular clause but at the time it made sense. Most people do not have us book their travel even though we do the main trip for you. I would not worry about the clause.

p.s. still in Utila so comprehension is not at full speed.

~K

#385 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:02 AM

I did fax that form to EV (and it went through etc.). I will email them today and make sure they got it.
Thanks,
~K

Document Update:

1. Karen aka ScubaWishes ww got your waiver and EV application (please make sure you fax it to EV as well)
:birthday:

~K

#386 Scubawishes

Scubawishes

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:07 AM

SP,
I emailed my survey to trips, not to WW, as requested like two weeks ago. Can you confirm if you all received it? Also, I'm doing the 10 day, but I'm not on the list for it. DO I still have a balance for this trip, if so what is it?
Thanks,

~K

I did fax that form to EV (and it went through etc.). I will email them today and make sure they got it.
Thanks,
~K

Document Update:

:cheerleader:

~K

#387 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:08 AM

Good info Ross. However, in Utila they did not allow the use of any flash or strobes while photographing whale sharks, and we were not allowed within 15 feet of the creatures. From personal experience several years ago in the Galapagos, my flash made the whaleshark flinch, so I stopped using the flash on whale sharks. I'd rather have them around to observe than to scare them off with a strobe.

You can also set your ASA to a higher setting which results in needing less ambient light on your subject to capture the image. Check out the latest whale shark images made with a non-SLR and no flash/strobe on the Utila Trip thread.

Bruce

And Bruce aka ScubaShafer will be on this trip...he is also an AWESOME Photography instructor. Maybe he'll offer a photo workshop/course on this trip???? :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#388 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:11 AM

SP,
I emailed my survey to trips, not to WW, as requested like two weeks ago. Can you confirm if you all received it? Also, I'm doing the 10 day, but I'm not on the list for it. DO I still have a balance for this trip, if so what is it?
Thanks,

~K

Yes you owe the $733 balance for the land pkg as you just completed the trip in full. Since you are NOT diving nitrox that does not apply. Thanks for verification you sent your docs to the boat...and if your docs were emailed to Trips in the past week or so we may be slow in updating the thread. (ScubaPunk and I were both on the Utila trip so are a bit behind!)

formerly...

#389 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,600 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Important Trip Update:

We officially have 2 spots left but they are in the Owner's Cabin and require two people to sleep together in order for it to work. So unless we get a couple, I will take the Owner's Suite and open up two regular cabins on the boat.

So....

Since we have 2 spots left if a COUPLE wants them the Owner's Suite is available otherwise there are now 2 standard cabin openings.

As we speak the open spots need to be filled by a couple or 2 girls or 2 guys so the rooming will work out. (Unless at least one gal is willing to share with a guy if we get 1 gal and 1 guy to fill the last spots.) Should we need it, if you can be rooming flexible please contact me via pm or kamala@singledivers.com and I'll be happy to work out something for you for your assistance. :cheerleader:

formerly...

#390 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

SP,
Thanks,

~K

Thanks,
~K

Document Update:

:cheerleader:

Karen,

Received your survey on the 9th. I left for Utila on the 7th, just got home yesterday. I will be updating more documents tonight once I get home from my "real" job! :thankyou:

All - Please be patient while we are traveling, and give us some time to catch up when we return. :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users