• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

SD Members on myspace??

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#46 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

http://www.myspace.com/nice_diver

there's me

tis free to use like the email as opposed to this site being unavailable to me

This question has been asked before and I'm happy to answer it again...

Q. Why is SingleDivers.com not totally free including pm's and emails?
A. To create an advertising free environment that also protects it's members from spam, harrassment and provides a fun, safe and enjoyable place to hang out between dives.

Let's face it folks...if the site were 100% free you'd be bombarded by spammers...well some of us would feel lucky to get that much attention...but you know what I mean.

To generate funds we'd have to sell advertising which gets old fast.

And by having a semi-private membership we've removed most of the people who aren't here for the right reasons...and that is worth $35 a year regardless. Plus you get $25 off every trip you take with us if you want the rebate and premier members get access to special deals from our vendors and suppliers.

Nothing in life is free...you pay for it one way or the other...I just didn't want our nice community to be riddled with people offering the multitude of stuff they offer on the internet on this site and I didn't want people with questionable motives targeting our members nor did I want to be bombarded by advertising all the time.

So the answer was simple...$35 a year of which most is rebateable and the aforementioned problems are solved.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#47 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:39 PM

Wreckwench said

To create an advertising free environment that also protects it's members from spam, harrassment and provides a fun, safe and enjoyable place to hang out between dives.

Those of us that have been on the internet a long time (1989 for me) know that what WreckWench is doing a heck of a job at that and we appreciate it.

I do not have a myspace page. Many years ago I put my stuff up on "fortunecity.com" which was extremely similar to myspace (provided free websites in exchange for selling advertising on 'my page'). Well... eventually fortunecity sold out or resorted to putting nasty nasty things into 'our' webpages (things like hijackers, keyloggers, redirectors etc). I had a heck of a time 'deleting' my pages. They kept replacing them because they attracted visitors so that they could spread their 'internet diseases'.

It is a very tough and admirable job to run a forum that is user-friendly, useful, and educational and still keep it free from spammers.

Thank you WreckWench !

#48 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

Thank you Racer184! We try very hard and we are VERY proud of the site that our members have helped us to create!

And again...while 'free' seems great...and it is...most of the time...in this arena you either get what you pay for or you get a whole more of what you don't want. :cool2:

Now back to the original thread...it seems that SD has a list on myspace and while I'm not sure anyone has found us as a result...I do know that one or more of our members has created a place for us there.

Maybe I'll get some time and figure it out and see how we do...if so I'll let you all know so you can link to us!

Or if anyone is really good at building a myspace page...maybe someone could help us do that! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#49 Scott

Scott

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1000+ (I have fallen into a bad habbit of only logging dives not involved with work lately.)

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:01 PM

I wasn't into it for a while till a friend of mine opened a bar and uses it as free advertisement. He was telling me about it and I set one up mainly for my tiki carving and ended up meeting a lot of the "MySpace Frinde" last weekend in Ft. Lauderdale at the HukiLau...

I think it is a great resource if you are looking at it for one reason or another.

Tiki Kai MySpace

-Scott
A gal at a bar recently told me I was acting weird...I told her,
" I bet you would act even more weird than me if you were 5 atmospheres higher than you prefer."
She didn't get it.
Her loss.

#50 RedPolarBear

RedPolarBear

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:4

Posted 22 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Hi I'm new around here and this is my myspace page http://myspace.com/cvpi19 and facebook page http://www.facebook....Louis Marinucci.

#51 Houston Squid

Houston Squid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Cert Level:National Geographic OW, AOW, Nitrox (IANTD)
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

Be sure to go check out my MYSPACE and see my latest Dive Pics from Key Largo Last Weekend.

My MYSPACE - Click Here

Add me if you like. I am pretty open and let the world look in -- you just may not get to look for long.
Signature under construction :)

#52 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 28 June 2007 - 01:24 PM

I suppose no one has bashed myspace yet, but I will. Ever since signing up for a profile to view a friend's profile, I get tons of friend requests by spammers.

It only gets worse as you get older - with the Nigerian 419 scammers. They used to take some time to identify - wasted time being polite with young ladies whom I didn't want to dismiss with just a simple "you're too young to talk to." I have developed some time saving approaches and safeguards, see my blogs.

The spam friend adds are easier to report, now that they finally have that button on those. Hey, it's a free service with lots of benies - got to expect a barage of ads, spams, and international crooks. Nice place to load a video up to 100 MB.

My upload privileges are still off for using copyrighted music on uploads, so I'm using a secondary membership for those for now.... :D
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#53 jimmy dave

jimmy dave

Getting started

• Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced

Posted 31 July 2007 - 05:52 AM

It took me a long time to get "into" the myspace thing. It really isn't that bad. I've been able to find and catch up with old HS buddies and old friends back in TX.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmy_dave

#54 cardiver

cardiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:15 PM

And here's mine.....

My Webpage

#55 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:31 PM

I was never really into these kind of sites, I'm still anti my space. I did jump on the linked-in and facebook band wagon though. These sites don't have the privacy issues that I hear about with my space users.

As for why I joined, I have been able to keep track of all of my b-school friends, rejoin with old college and high school friends, and people with which I went to elemetary school. It's been pretty neat catching up with everyone, seeing what everyone looks like now that we are older, and what everyone has been up to. I moved to a different part of the country and it's my way of staying in touch with my roots.

Here is my facebook page:
http://rice.facebook...hp?id=777862847

If the link doesn't work it's because I have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to technical things.... :birthday:
And yes that includes my dive gear. :birthday:

And actually there has been talk about Facebook going public or being bought out by a company like Microsoft or Google. Companies are even looking into creating Facebook pages for employees and the like, especially the larger ones. Also I've heard rumors about some companies using the web sites as a screening process for potential hires...

Just my two cents... :D

#56 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

TxStar, I don't know much about Facebook. The link require logging in as a member, so I did. This is what I get...

Is it supposed to give profile info? If I click Profile, it goes to mine.

Posted Image

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#57 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

People are starting to get to know me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 31 August 2007 - 01:13 PM

Users on Facebook can set their privacy to several levels. She has her profile set so that you can only see that info- to see more she has to add you as a friend. You need send her an add request and then she needs to add you.

TxStar, I don't know much about Facebook. The link require logging in as a member, so I did. This is what I get...

Is it supposed to give profile info? If I click Profile, it goes to mine.

Posted Image

Edited by Jellyfishluv, 31 August 2007 - 01:13 PM.

:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#58 Tank

Tank

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced OW and Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:22

Posted 31 August 2007 - 03:44 PM

I have one but I never look at it. I think its still there.... hmmmm

http://www.myspace.com/72878694

Yup Still there ;)

#59 georoc01