• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

This will scare you to death

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 EbonyMermaid

EbonyMermaid

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:15

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:39 AM

Like I said, I must be missing something here.

I agree Posted Image

Woman eating eel, I've seen that, oh wait a minute, that wasn't an eel :welcome:

#62 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:22 AM

I still think that we ought to all treat this like a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing & show up in masks & snorkels. When the "man eating eel" & other scary denizens of the deep appear we should all scream & carry on like a bunch of idiots. That might send a message to the film industry or at least be a lot of fun.... :welcome:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#63 DiveScoop

DiveScoop

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 July 2004 - 09:22 AM

OK - Here's the deal....The movie involves a diving couple left by a dive boat during a Caribbean vacation. They float on the surface for well over 14 hours and have to deal with sharks, jellyfish stings, etc.

I've seen the movie (due to some industry connections I have here in LA) and it IS a very scary movie. There are no "eel attacks" - in fact the eel scene is one of the cool underwater sequences in the film.

More importantly, to NON-DIVERS who see this film, they might think that diving is dangerous and divers get attacked by sharks all the time. Obviously this is not the case, but you'll have to watch the movie when it comes out on August 6 and decide for yourself.

Scott
Dive Scoop

#64 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 10:03 AM

Wish I had your connections Scott..... :fish2:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#65 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

I still think that we ought to all treat this like a Rocky Horror Picture Show viewing & show up in masks & snorkels. When the "man eating eel" & other scary denizens of the deep appear we should all scream & carry on like a bunch of idiots. That might send a message to the film industry or at least be a lot of fun.... ;)

Great idea, Marvel.
"

#66 wreck_maniac

wreck_maniac

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 06 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

You're a brave man, BB! I thought about posting something similar but the shadow of the new mods creeped over me....

Yep...you can't take a P*** without getting some kind of pm about something.
~dale

NC Wreck Divers Dive the Graveyard of the Atlantic

#67 ScubaKim

ScubaKim

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 06 July 2004 - 02:18 PM

I too have heard about this movie a few months ago. I read it a Canadian Diver Magazine. The also said that it will have as much of a negagive effect on Scuba Diving as Jaws did many years ago. :hiya:

I think this will be an interesting movie. I can hardly wait to see it. Actually I am planning on making this movie a social event for our scuba club. ;)

#68 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 06 July 2004 - 04:02 PM

I've seen the movie (due to some industry connections I have here in LA) and it IS a very scary movie. There are no "eel attacks" - in fact the eel scene is one of the cool underwater sequences in the film.

I was able to find a message board that discussed the movie. Someone on the board was asked to reveal the ending, he did reveal it and, from what he described, it will definately not be what you expect. I still have not decided if I will see it myself.

As for the damage it might do to the diving industry, the onus will be on us to tell non-divers and anyone who is considering taking up the sport that incidents like this are very rare. I have done some 150 dives in the ocean, only once was I ever stung by a jellyfish and two other times did I see and/or encounter a shark. Once was a Nurse Shark in Cozumel and the other was seeing a Hammerhead swim over my buddy and I at the Flower Gardens.

It may be interesting to see the movie and see where Hollywood errs on the diving end.
-Mitch-

#69 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:31 PM

It may be interesting to see the movie and see where Hollywood errs on the diving end.

And why should we expect anything different from them? There is a whole line of movies that have been "based on real events" that in fact bore no resemblance to the truth whatsoever. Without wading into the whole "Unfairenheight 9/11" controversy, how about "The Hurricane" and "Erin Brockovich" for starters?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#70 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 06 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

Not to mention that they were never found..... :lmao:
Marvel

Posted Image

#71 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 July 2004 - 12:07 AM

erin brokovich was never found??

hey, guys, look at it THIS way:
if the movie scares people away from diving, that means there will be more room for the rest of us!! :lmao:

#72 maninthesea

maninthesea

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 501 posts
  • Cert Level:Trimix and Rebreather also Padi Inst and TDI Inst Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Quit that long ago-Nothing left to prove

Posted 07 July 2004 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Latitude Adjustment @ May 11 2004, 02:22 PM)
I thought it was based on the lawyer and his wife who were left behind on the first dive off Key Largo and spent the night on a light tower.
The shop missed so many clues that they were missing divers, gear still on the boat, two unused tanks, another boat picked up her rental BC that had been clipped to the base of the tower and returned it to the shop and no one slept in their beds that night. They were staying at Kelly's which is attached to the dive op. 

HOLY CRAP!  I didn't know Kelly's was involved in anything like this. Up to this point I've been a very satisfied repeat customer of theirs...I'm really bummed to hear it was them!

This hits a little too close to home for me.

Laura

To add insult to injury I understand that the dive shop did miss the rental gear and called and left a message on the divers answering machines about charges for not returning it!

About this movie
I think the dive industry should take the Bull by the horns and produce an infomercial about the resulting changes in the indurstry due to this incident. Especially in Austrailia. It should include website info for the major training agencies and an invitation learn to dive with quality shops and resorts. This should be shown prior to the film just like a trialer.

Jim Pinson
Tip of the day- Never suck on a loaded gun!

#73 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 04:57 AM

erin brokovich was never found??

hey, guys, look at it THIS way:
if the movie scares people away from diving, that means there will be more room for the rest of us!! :o

:lmao: She's back & feisty as ever!!! :usflag:
Marvel

Posted Image

#74 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 July 2004 - 06:58 AM

You're a brave man, BB! I thought about posting something similar but the shadow of the new mods creeped over me....

Yep...you can't take a P*** without getting some kind of pm about something.

Hey cutie you are confused....Triggerfish is NOT a mod!! But that's ok...she...er...'they' still love you anyway....and so do we!!! LOL!!! :teeth:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#75 ScubaCurt

ScubaCurt

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:OWI

Posted 04 August 2004 - 01:06 PM

I thought it was based on the lawyer and his wife who were left behind on the first dive off Key Largo and spent the night on a light tower.
The shop missed so many clues that they were missing divers, gear still on the boat, two unused tanks, another boat picked up her rental BC that had been clipped to the base of the tower and returned it to the shop and no one slept in their beds that night. They were staying at Kelly's which is attached to the dive op.

HOLY CRAP! :lmao: I didn't know Kelly's was involved in anything like this. Up to this point I've been a very satisfied repeat customer of theirs...I'm really bummed to hear it was them!

This hits a little too close to home for me.

Laura

AquaNuts was the dive operation. I was there shortly after it happened and became public knowledge. I have been back a number of times since and they are so safety conscience I have trouble believing it could ever happen again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users