• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Its My Time To Quit

• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#76 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:35 AM

Congratulations on making it this long Bubski. :birthday: :birthday: Keep it up....I know you can beat this addiction! :D
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#77 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:36 AM

You will be amazed at your improved air consumption on the Dry Tortugas trip! Imagine, having a tank last you an extra 10, 20 or more minutes!!!

So, not just the "dive kitty" for incentive! I went from 40-45 minutes on a tank, up to 65-70. Way to stretch a dollar!

We're all with you, Bubski.
Posted Image

#78 pmarie

pmarie

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

Good Morning!! I am happy to report that I shared the posts with my Dad and he just got such a lift from it!! Keep up the great work!! Thanks for making us all aware of the trials and successes associated with conquering the enemy.

#79 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 17 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

Thanks fellow :D and :birthday:
Pmarie thanks for letting me know that !
A note to all you single guys out there that are still smoking, apparently quitting smoking is the New Sexy thing to do. Now You can approach a Lady and say...Hey You I'm a non-smoker whats your name :birthday:

WW,
Its true that the some of the initial strength/willpower wears off alittle bit after the first week, but my resolve is high and I would like to use this quote from one of my favorite movies...
"I've gone this far... so I guess I will keep on going" Forest Gump. Apparently I didn't clean my office good enough after quitting because Jo'l confronted me this morning holding a cigarette butt, she claims she found it in my office ?. I looked at the butt and said "I did not have a sexual relationship with that cigarette". Even if pmarie warnings about using Ambian CR as a sleep aid are true ?, I did not inhale lol

that's a lil Arkansas humor for my daily ditty..

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#80 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:20 AM

A note to all you single guys out there that are still smoking, apparently quitting smoking is the New Sexy thing to do. Now You can approach a Lady and say...Hey You I'm a non-smoker whats your name :birthday:

WW,
Its true that the some of the initial strength/willpower wears off alittle bit after the first week, but my resolve is high and I would like to use this quote from one of my favorite movies...
"I've gone this far... so I guess I will keep on going" Forest Gump. Apparently I didn't clean my office good enough after quitting because Jo'l confronted me this morning holding a cigarette butt, she claims she found it in my office ?. I looked at the butt and said "I did not have a sexual relationship with that cigarette". Even if pmarie warnings about using Ambian CR as a sleep aid are true ?, I did not inhale lol

Bubski

At this risk of the wrath of my right hand in the office......her husband was VERY happy when she took Ambien CR and keeps asking "Are you taking one of those pills tonite?" He finally came clean and she had no memory of any activities, including cooking!!

#81 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 17 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

Still smoke free Bubski!

Congrats and keep up the good work. We're all rootin' for ya!! :birthday: :birthday: :cool1: :D :teeth: :taz: :D
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#82 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 17 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

WW,

Bubski

Oh my!! That's too funny!!! :cool1:

Keep up the good work!!!
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#83 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 17 March 2009 - 03:05 PM

Bubski, please remember that you will stay quit as long as you really want to.
The trick is to keep it that way.
I am still living proof of it.
I know you can do it to.

Edited by pir8, 17 March 2009 - 03:08 PM.

Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#84 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:38 PM

At this risk of the wrath of my right hand in the office......her husband was VERY happy when she took Ambien CR and keeps asking "Are you taking one of those pills tonite?" He finally came clean and she had no memory of any activities, including cooking!!

pmarie,
Are you say that its possible that my body might have been compromised and I didnt know it ?
Thats very exciting....I mean thats very sad... very very sad :tears:

Dear Diary

I'm still working off the list I started months ago of things I wanted to get done when the weather started getting better, I'm accustom to staying busy all the time and the only difference now is I have both hands free to work. As food starts to taste better and better I am starting to get weird cravings for sweets which I don't usually like to eat but I thought a chocolate bar with coconuts would be ok as a treat instead of the smoke. I have added a few pounds on my body but not as much as I thought I would, the biggest weight gain has been in my back-pocket. The money I put in my Dive Kitty was the amount I would have spent in only five days if I had continued smoking. A good friend/dive buddy that had quit smoking several years ago call me today and ask me "what I have been up to ?" and I told him that I finally quit smoking and thanked him for sharing his testimony with me a couple years ago when we first meet in the DFW area at a local dive park. Of course he was happy for me and he said what keeps him on-track from starting to smoke again is he checks Carton prices in New York and California when he gets an urge to smoke, he told me that the latest carton price in New York was 90 bucks, and I said Wow :blink:. Then we started talking dive gear and he told me of all this new dive stuff he has purchased lately and Anthony doesn't buy the cheap stuff either. It just reminds me of how much money I have literally throw away ! but I am not going to start looking back and have some kind of pity party about what I did in the past. I started reviewing my dive tables today because as Tammy pointed out, I might, someday soon be able to max out my Bottom Time :diver:

I feel like I am living in a Strange New World ...and I like it..I Like it Alot !

Smoke Free and heading towards day 10 :lmao:

my quit smoking experiance as of tonight..

15% meds
55% willpower
30% support

Bubski

Amazon.com

#85 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:35 AM

pmarie,
Are you say that its possible that my body might have been compromised and I didnt know it ?
Thats very exciting....I mean thats very sad... very very sad :lmao:

Yep. I'm sure that would would just be so sad.....the not knowing that is. What is the warning "No memory of events" were reported, and now verified by one

#86 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:04 AM

Way to hang in there Bubski!!!!

If you sart putting on a few pounds, don't let it bring you down. Your lungs will start working better, and you will become more active. You can always try this running plan.

From couch to 5k. From Couch to 5K.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#87 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 19 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Hey Bubski! We missed your funny diary post last night! I hope you can take a minute to post tonight..... we're all still pulling for your ultimate success.
Posted Image

#88 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 07:55 PM

Tammy,

Your the Best ! I actually had to take a break from the diary and do some regular SD posting for a bit. I'm still on track with the non-smoking and I am composing a My Diary post that will be more in depth about the physical effects of quitting smoking and Insomnia. Its kinda a spin-off of what pmarie and I have been posting about Ambian CR. And Kieth I never considered doing some running to improve my respiratory and cardio..thanks for bringing that up. It seems in today's times there is a pill or medicine for everything and My Hat is off :welcome: to the people that quit smoking (cold turkey) with-out any meds at all, but I don't know there story or situations at that time, it would be nice to hear from others who have quit and what they went thru ?

Curious Bubski

Amazon.com

#89 Divegirl412

Divegirl412

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 817 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:06 PM

Tammy,

Your the Best ! I actually had to take a break from the diary and do some regular SD posting for a bit. I'm still on track with the non-smoking and I am composing a My Diary post that will be more in depth about the physical effects of quitting smoking and Insomnia. Its kinda a spin-off of what pmarie and I have been posting about Ambian CR. And Kieth I never considered doing some running to improve my respiratory and cardio..thanks for bringing that up. It seems in today's times there is a pill or medicine for everything and My Hat is off :welcome: to the people that quit smoking (cold turkey) with-out any meds at all, but I don't know there story or situations at that time, it would be nice to hear from others who have quit and what they went thru ?

Curious Bubski

Good luck!!! You KNOW I wish you utmost success with this. I did quit essentially cold turkey several years ago after becoming about a 1/2 to 1 pk a day smoker. Funny... it was not looking at the black lungs of the previous smoker cadavers we dissected that did it (although it probably helped). It was just realizing what a stupid habit it was that finally did it for me. The health hazards, the stink, the cost etc. I just quit and never looked back. Now, as you know, I am an avid smoke avoider :teeth:

But it is a tough addiction to break, especially while you are still around it. And Pir8 is right, it is mainly in the mind. So I wish you all the best. Stay strong and keep counting the days.

Rosa

#90 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:02 PM

Bubski,

You haven't posted in a while, are you still hanging in there?

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users