• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The next airline fee is here....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Landlocked Dive Nut

Landlocked Dive Nut

I need to get a life

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,543 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:448

Posted 06 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

Spirit Airlines is starting to charge for overhead bin carryon bags, and all the other airlines are watching to see if we'll accept that fee just like we've accepted all the others....

Can I lead the revolt? :respect:

See this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn...om/ET?GT1=43001
Posted Image

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

Spirit is a Low cost carrier (the ryanair of the US) that in my opinion use deceptive practices to attract customers (IE real low airfares) and then hits them with a whole host of nickel and dime fees (checkin fees, bag fees, seat assignment fees, credit card fees, etc) when in the end they are the same or more expensive then the legacy carriers (American, United, etc).

Dont expect this to get very far

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 06 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

All they are doing is make Southwest look more and more attractive. We just need them to fly to our dive destinations..

The thing is that the legacy carriers have been following suit with many of these fees and cut backs..

Edited by georoc01, 06 April 2010 - 12:44 PM.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Not Continental...we only paid for the 2nd bag...there were MEALS on the domestic flights...free headsets on the int'l and the flight attendants suggested you take one that was free for use on the next flight where they would not be free.

I do not have status with CO but they are looking more and more attractive!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 Diver Ed

Diver Ed

Everyone knows me

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX, SOLO
  • Logged Dives:logged, 1000 plus 20 years of unlogged diving

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Not Continental...we only paid for the 2nd bag...there were MEALS on the domestic flights...free headsets on the int'l and the flight attendants suggested you take one that was free for use on the next flight where they would not be free.

You mentioned something about your meal on Continental a few weeks ago, after returning from a trip. A day or so later I read a news brief that they were cutting that out either this summer, or some time in the fall, on US based flights. As fuel prices increase again, it is probably just a matter of time before there are across the board cuts and special increases on all airlines again.

#6 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 02:30 PM

Well it depends on where you are flying. They do charge for a first bag on domestic flights.

http://www.continent...e/checkbag.aspx

And as Diver Ed stated, complimentary meals are now a thing of the past outside of first too.

http://www.continent...t.aspx?i=PRNEWS

All the more reason why upgrading to Business class for Truk/Palau would be great!

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:11 PM

All the more reason why upgrading to Business class for Truk/Palau would be great!

oh yeah and/or miles ticket. for me it will be both because CO isn't part of OneWorld alliance.

looking at ticket prices for the island hopper the difference between coach and biz is so small that i will probably buy up to biz for the island hopper.

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:13 PM

I think the other thing that will play into if other airlines play follow the leader is that several airlines are in the middle of contract negotiations with there staff unions (AA, and i believe Delta and United as well). I also think the backlash is going to be significant as all of this parting out hasnt lowered airfares any at all, but instead they have been 15-35% higher this year then in years past.

#9 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 03:18 PM

I think the other thing that will play into if other airlines play follow the leader is that several airlines are in the middle of contract negotiations with there staff unions (AA, and i believe Delta and United as well). I also think the backlash is going to be significant as all of this parting out hasnt lowered airfares any at all, but instead they have been 15-35% higher this year then in years past.

United's Flight Attendants were picketing today..

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14830111

#10 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 April 2010 - 06:34 PM

Last time I flew Spirit it took more than THIRTEEN HOURS to go from Fort Lauderdale to Chicago. The weather was perfect.

Not even an apology.

Last summer I flew Jet Blue to Boston. When I showed up at the airport they told me the flight would be 1 hour 20 minutes late, and it was
precisely that late. When I left Boston to come back to Florida, they told me the flight would be at least 2 hours late. It was 2 hours and 10 minutes late.

I thanked them for their honesty. Then.... they sent me $50 credit for the next times I fly ($25 per).

Spirit airlines? I would rather trade clothes with a homeless person and take a greyhound bus to Chicago.

Perfect weather and it takes THIRTEEN hours to get to Chicago ? (No other airlines had 'weather delays' that day !)

#11 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:23 PM

Let me add some additional information, my source the Wall Street Journal of April 6, 2010. "US Airways Group, Inc. said Monday its passenger unit revenue ... rose about 18% from a year earlier in March... The increase reflects added revenue from baggage-checking and other services for which the industry now charges. Last week, Continental Airlines said its passeger unit revenue on March rose by between 14.5% and 15.5% from a year earlier. United Airlines recently expects its first-quarter unit revenue to show a gain of 16% to 17% from a year earlier." It's apparent the airlines have found a way to increase passenger unit revenue without significantly raising ticket prices, but for charging for services which were considered as normal and necessary part of air travel.

Full disclosure statement: Poster currently holds shares of AMR & SW Airlines.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#12 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2010 - 05:13 AM

Truth of the matter is that EVERYTHING is going up or has gone up. And we don't have many options for flying airplanes so it will continue to be expensive and continue to become more expensive. And while we may benefit from an economy of scale here and there...the trend will be up.

We just drove to NY/NJ for the BTS Dive Show from Salem SC. The cost of fuel alone for the truck was more than an airline ticket. However there were 4 of us so this option was more viable. Fuel across the board is not cheap anymore here. And its certainly not cheap most anyplace else either.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#13 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

Based on my limited understanding of economics, the reason fuel prices are going up has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with Wall Street speculators. Personally the sooner we throw those bums out for getting rich without adding any value, the better! As far as I'm concerned, they are parasites on those of us in this society that actually work hard to create value.

Edited by drbill, 07 April 2010 - 07:47 AM.

#14 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:09 AM

Based on my limited understanding of economics, the reason fuel prices are going up has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with Wall Street speculators. Personally the sooner we throw those bums out for getting rich without adding any value, the better! As far as I'm concerned, they are parasites on those of us in this society that actually work hard to create value.

Well, when the country prints money like it is and devalues the dollar, wall street needs to offset the inflation risk, and commodities like oil become prime options. So its a reaction to government fiscal policy. It starts at the top. Instead of attacking the symptoms, we need to attack the problem. And while supply is availble, where that supply comes from continues to increase from riskier places.

The US is the only country in world that sits on its own reserves while expoliting the oil of others. Until that changes, either by reducing demand or increasing domestic supply, we are going to have to deal with this. And the biggest untapped known reserve is there offshore in Southern California.

#15 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:30 AM

<snip>

Dont expect this to get very far

That's what I thought about baggage fees. The airlines blamed it on fuel prices, which subsequently fell by 50%. Did they drop the fee? No!!
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users