• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The next airline fee is here....

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:01 AM

Based on my limited understanding of economics, the reason fuel prices are going up has nothing to do with supply and demand and everything to do with Wall Street speculators. Personally the sooner we throw those bums out for getting rich without adding any value, the better! As far as I'm concerned, they are parasites on those of us in this society that actually work hard to create value.

Well, when the country prints money like it is and devalues the dollar, wall street needs to offset the inflation risk, and commodities like oil become prime options. So its a reaction to government fiscal policy. It starts at the top. Instead of attacking the symptoms, we need to attack the problem. And while supply is availble, where that supply comes from continues to increase from riskier places.

The US is the only country in world that sits on its own reserves while expoliting the oil of others. Until that changes, either by reducing demand or increasing domestic supply, we are going to have to deal with this. And the biggest untapped known reserve is there offshore in Southern California.

Boys, Boys, you're both beautiful!!!

Bill

Edited by ScubaTex, 07 April 2010 - 09:02 AM.

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

<snip>

Dont expect this to get very far

That's what I thought about baggage fees. The airlines blamed it on fuel prices, which subsequently fell by 50%. Did they drop the fee? No!!

I think he means the poltical aspects of the discussion...which he is right. As for the bag fees being dropped...all companies have a right to charge what they want to make money. All consumers have a choice to either pay it or not. When we don't pay they either reduce, cut back or accept the losses accordingly.

SouthWest chooses to not play this game and hopefully they are being rewarded. I have status with at least 1 airline so have the luxury of not paying those fees since I fly alot. Many others have status as well so are not impacted. Only the infrequent passenger.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

OFFICIAL WARNING:

Ok its time I remind everyone that our TOS does not allow discussion of politics nor does it allow the discussion of highly controversial subjects which this one is heading towards violations on both accounts.

The discussion has moved away from the original discussion and will be closed if it continues on its current path.

This is a highly emotional subject with no clear and definitive answers. Sadly it is not just 'supply and demand' that controls the availability of this particular product but even if it were...prices would still be high as fossil fuels ARE LIMITED AND WILL BE ECONOMICALLY EXHAUSTED AT OUR CURRENT WORLDWIDE CONSUMPTION RATES AT SOME POINT PROBABLY IN MOST OF OUR LIFETIMES.

Having said this....this is NOT the proper forum to solve this problem or attempt to solve it so please refrain from doing so as it interferes with diving or the desire to dive with our members.

We have a choice...either pay the fees or don't. Suppliers will adapt accordingly or suffer the consequences. It is as simple as that. We don't have to like it but its our choice how we spend our money. Just as its our choice if we hang out on this message board or facebook or other online venues.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#19 Racer184

Racer184

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • Cert Level:Former Open Water Instructor S.D.I.
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

And did I hear that there is now an airline charging extra for 'exit aisle' seats? ?

On some airplanes I can not fit in any row other than the exit aisle. Though this is becoming rarer (am I shrinking?).

I have to give the airlines credit, these days I can get into most seats without my knees jammed into the seat in front of me if I sit up straight. That was not the case 20 years ago when it was not possible to sit anywhere other than exit seats. The airlines have given us another inch or inch + 1/2 over the decades. It does not sound like much, but it is the difference between getting into a seat and not getting into a seat. On some airplanes, the person in front of me is actually able to lean their seat back ! I wouldn't mind paying 10% more for 10% more room, but there are only so many exit row seats.

Regarding "overhead carryon" luggage, I am all for the charge. There have been times I have been on a plane with my ONE carryon and they had to check it for me because there was no room in the overhead. So I had the inconvenience and time of going to get a checked bag because other people brought on way too much carryon.

I will be glad to pay an extra few dollars so that the baggage handlers don't touch my bag, plus I don't have to wait to pick it up when we eventually get there.

When flying with more than one bag, I usually ship my stuff by Federal Express ground. (It is more convenient for me here than is UPS or the others.)

Just check with the hotel, or the business you are visiting and ask if you may ship your bag(s) to them a day early. So far, for me, the answer has always been yes.

And for your dive weights.... there is the United States Postal Service "flat rate boxes". "If it fits, it ships". You can send 30 pounds of soft weights for $10.85 !

Edited by Racer184, 07 April 2010 - 06:29 PM.

#20 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 07 April 2010 - 08:32 PM

OFFICIAL WARNING:

Ok its time I remind everyone that our TOS does not allow discussion of politics nor does it allow the discussion of highly controversial subjects which this one is heading towards violations on both accounts.

The discussion has moved away from the original discussion and will be closed if it continues on its current path.

This is a highly emotional subject with no clear and definitive answers. Sadly it is not just 'supply and demand' that controls the availability of this particular product but even if it were...prices would still be high as fossil fuels ARE LIMITED AND WILL BE ECONOMICALLY EXHAUSTED AT OUR CURRENT WORLDWIDE CONSUMPTION RATES AT SOME POINT PROBABLY IN MOST OF OUR LIFETIMES.

Having said this....this is NOT the proper forum to solve this problem or attempt to solve it so please refrain from doing so as it interferes with diving or the desire to dive with our members.

We have a choice...either pay the fees or don't. Suppliers will adapt accordingly or suffer the consequences. It is as simple as that. We don't have to like it but its our choice how we spend our money. Just as its our choice if we hang out on this message board or facebook or other online venues.

So in other words the best thing we can do is....
get the Prez, V-P & leaders of Congress along with the heads of the Wall Street banks and hedge funds to join SingleDivers.com -
take a trip to Bonaire [flying coach on the Continental red-eye] -
then join us at Chez Neal for rum punches -
so they can all feel our pain

:P :P :cool1:

nouf said, Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 05:58 AM

Yup! That sounds like the ticket! :lmao:

formerly...

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

Good points Racer184!

formerly...

#23 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 07:57 AM

OFFICIAL WARNING:

Kamala,

I know your site and your rules and I respect that more that you know but.......really?

Air travel is integral to diving for the vast majority of us and having a spirited discussion about airlines seems an important part of diving. Were we really aproaching some threshold?

Respectufully.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#24 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

A couple of months out of date, but... we think we have it bad...

"Buuuuuuutttttt daaaaaaadddd... I realllllly got to gooooooooo!"

http://www.timesonli...icle5814577.ece

Edited by scrappykidz, 08 April 2010 - 08:40 AM.

#25 georoc01

georoc01

I spend too much time on line

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:13 AM

A couple of months out of date, but... we think we have it bad...

"Buuuuuuutttttt daaaaaaadddd... I realllllly got to gooooooooo!"

http://www.timesonli...icle5814577.ece

I was reading earlier today that RyanAir does plan to go through with this plan to start charging for lavatory usage.

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:43 AM

OFFICIAL WARNING:

Kamala,

I know your site and your rules and I respect that more that you know but.......really?

Air travel is integral to diving for the vast majority of us and having a spirited discussion about airlines seems an important part of diving. Were we really aproaching some threshold?

Respectufully.

Fred

Great question Fred. Spirited discussions about airlines and their policies are certainly allowed as long as they are respectful and non inflamatory. Discussion of why fuel prices are what they are if it includes discussion of politics is not. And I inadvertantly opened that can of worms by saying that fuel was a non-renewable source of energy that would eventually be depleted and therefore would always be high in price. That led to theories of why this is and isn't so depending on your point of view as well as discussion on why fuel is or isn't as expensive as it should be etc. All of which involved the discussion of why fuel prices are what they are which THEN was no longer in compliance with our TOS.

The discussion since my warning has all completely been within the TOS.

So I apologize to all for causing the two posts that were not in compliance. :birthday:

And thank you for the question Fred. I hope I answered it satisfactorily for you. :lmao:

formerly...

#27 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 10:51 AM

OFFICIAL WARNING:

Kamala,

Respectufully.

Fred

Great question Fred. Spirited discussions about airlines and their policies are certainly allowed as long as they are respectful and non inflamatory. Discussion of why fuel prices are what they are if it includes discussion of politics is not. And I inadvertantly opened that can of worms by saying that fuel was a non-renewable source of energy that would eventually be depleted and therefore would always be high in price. That led to theories of why this is and isn't so depending on your point of view as well as discussion on why fuel is or isn't as expensive as it should be etc. All of which involved the discussion of why fuel prices are what they are which THEN was no longer in compliance with our TOS.

The discussion since my warning has all completely been within the TOS.

So I apologize to all for causing the two posts that were not in compliance. :tears:

And thank you for the question Fred. I hope I answered it satisfactorily for you. :birthday:

Cool!!!

:cool1: :lmao: :respect:
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#28 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

http://www.everydaym...pee-policy.html

This was briefly referred to above but no-one picked up on it. This and its implications were discussed some time ago (not here AFAIK), and the concensus was that people WILL pee in their seats. Not in their clothes obviously - they will make the appropriate adjustments. I suspect Ryanair will very soon have cause to regret their decision, as they have to take planes out of service and engage in very expensive cleaning and re-upholstering. I think this decision may in the future be seen as the time at which their decline started.

#29 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:26 PM

This was briefly referred to above but no-one picked up on it. This and its implications were discussed some time ago (not here AFAIK), and the concensus was that people WILL pee in their seats. Not in their clothes obviously - they will make the appropriate adjustments. I suspect Ryanair will very soon have cause to regret their decision, as they have to take planes out of service and engage in very expensive cleaning and re-upholstering. I think this decision may in the future be seen as the time at which their decline started.

Peter not having ever lived in europe. Is there any legislation or act that covers accommodation for persons with disabilities to have access to facilities? I know if a airline in the US tried this they would be taken to court for ADA (Americans with disabilities act) faster then one can snap there fingers.

I think michael o'leary (head of Ryanair) is in for a shock when passengers turn a airplane in to a biohazard, either out of spite or emergency

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#30 scrappykidz

scrappykidz

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Board Status:back on the short bus...
  • Cert Level:AOW - new diver
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

Think you're right on this one. Have spent a it of time in Blegium and in Mons (in particular) I don't think any non-tourist male ever used a pay to pee toilet... great town, but the smell... :lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users