• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Age Differences

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

#61 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 16 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

... Today's "younger" gen that I'm becomming more acutely aware up here, Calif is-was different, but it'all about ME.. the "Me" generation.. cell phones, buy me, take me all about ME.. heheh... you start a conversation and within the next 3 sentences they're talking about what's best for them... I simply can't handle  for any length of time.. so it's back to the older Generation... Stable, understanding, appreciative of the other person.. for the most part that is...  don't know why it is.. but  have been able to note the difference between Calif an Wa ladies... and it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Boy, I could tell you stories about what it's like dating in SoCal, and it ain't pretty. We'll have to compare notes over a cold one one of these days!

perhaps you all need to meet a nice Midwestern gal... :cool2:

L
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#62 wrinkles

wrinkles

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 16 April 2004 - 05:40 PM

... Today's "younger" gen that I'm becomming more acutely aware up here, Calif is-was different, but it'all about ME.. the "Me" generation.. cell phones, buy me, take me all about ME.. heheh... you start a conversation and within the next 3 sentences they're talking about what's best for them... I simply can't handle  for any length of time.. so it's back to the older Generation... Stable, understanding, appreciative of the other person.. for the most part that is...  don't know why it is.. but  have been able to note the difference between Calif an Wa ladies... and it sticks out like a sore thumb...

Boy, I could tell you stories about what it's like dating in SoCal, and it ain't pretty. We'll have to compare notes over a cold one one of these days!

Now now... Cali girls are not all that bad :anna:

Ana

#63 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

Now now... Cali girls are not all that bad :anna:

Ana

I wasn't making a blanket generalization at all, just commenting on my particular experience. I know there are oodles of great women in SoCal ... they just have been a little elusive, that's all.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#64 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:26 PM

perhaps you all need to meet a nice Midwestern gal... :lol:

L

Do tell!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#65 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 16 April 2004 - 06:51 PM

Now now... Cali girls are not all that bad  :anna:

Ana

I wasn't making a blanket generalization at all, just commenting on my particular experience. I know there are oodles of great women in SoCal ... they just have been a little elusive, that's all.

:anna3:

#66 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 16 April 2004 - 07:35 PM

Don't hide Ana!!! You are DEFINITELY an exception to the Cali Girl rule. :lol:

#67 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 April 2004 - 08:04 PM

She's not hiding. She's being elusive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#68 sunlover

sunlover

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:366

Posted 22 April 2004 - 10:52 PM

As a 50something y/o guy that is really attracted to attractive women of any age, I still remember the words of one of my 50something y/o med. school classmates who was showing me his new baby girl (by his new, much younger wife): "well I don't have to worry about retirement anymore". Reality check. Tom

#69 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 April 2004 - 11:14 PM

As a 50something y/o guy that is really attracted to attractive women of any age, I still remember the words of one of my 50something y/o med. school classmates who was showing me his new baby girl (by his new, much younger wife): "well I don't have to worry about retirement anymore". Reality check. Tom

Or, you spend several years with a much younger man only to have them tell you that they want to have kids after all.... :thankyou:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#70 kevininpo

kevininpo

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:18 AM

well, l'll put in my 2cents <l'll probably get change back> :blink: l've been told there are 3 major points in life where there is a serious evaluation/shift in ones thinking...early 20's, late 30's and mid 50's. lt has been true for me and others l have spoken with, so l try to keep that in mind when choosing a dating age range. The one thing that l have to contend with that has been mentioned earlier is the activity level of people my age. Even at the ripe age of 44, l can still go heads up and win against 20 yr olds...140-0 against my 19 yr old son in raquetball :o . That much said, does it really matter? All things in time become self evident.
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#71 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:41 AM

Since this is a topic of interest to me, I've tried to follow the posts to see what others think. One thing that always has to be factored in to any potential relationship is that people's interests, goals, etc., change over time. What a GF or BF wants at this point in time may change dramatically in 5 years.

For example, my last long-term (7 1/2 years and we're still close friends 4 years later) relationship was with a woman 13 years younger than me. We had (still have!) a great relationship that evolved out of friendship and mutual respect. We both worked for the same environmental organization, had common goals, etc. In her late 30's she experienced the death of her mother which led to rethinking her life's goals. Now she has a completely changed direction in life, one we don't share but each of us respect the other's directions. We remain close friends (I stay with her almost every time I'm on the mainland) although there is no romantic component to the relationship.

For this reason my relationships with much younger women, like my regular dive buddies, tends to be one of friendship rather than romance. Many of them are not ready to set firm life goals simply due to their ages and life experiences. In fact, one of them changes life goals about every month (I serve as a mentor to her as well as dive buddy). It's one of the reasons I enjoy her friendship though.

By the time a woman reaches her late 30's to 40's I think she has a better sense of what she wants out of life, out of relationships, etc. I'd say the same for a man, but know too many examples (including myself) of men who have gone through the proverbial "mid-life crisis" and re-evaluated their directions.

I really enjoy my relationships with the younger women as they give me a window into that generation's thinking (I only recently discovered I had offspring- a son aged 19- so I have had no experience other than through my teaching). Of course younger men would also but they tend not to be as communicative about such things. However, it would be rare to find a woman in her 20's or early 30's who had that sense of her future (even rarer to find a man!).

My best relationships seem to be with women in their late 30's to late 40's. Although younger than me, they have successfully survived many of the "big questions" in their lives and my relationships with them generally are more satisfying in so many ways.

Yes, age can be a factor... but it depends so much on the individual. I've met several women in their 20's whose company I thoroughly enjoy because they have a maturity level beyond their chronological age... and I've met women in their 50's and 60's who still didn't have a clue. Judge on a case-by-case basis factoring in the possibility of future change.

Despite all this "intellectualizing," I'd be happy to meet a woman of any age who I clicked with, who wanted to travel the world and dive, who had strong interests in the marine environment and educating others about it, and who wanted a commited one-on-one relationship (not necessarily leading to marriage, but I'm starting to soften on that issue!). I've never been a player... one relationship is enough of a challenge!

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 23 April 2004 - 10:14 AM.

#72 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 23 April 2004 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, agree with Dr Bill...
It really boils down to the common link, do you enjoy the other person, do you want to spend time with them and do they WANT to spend time with you...

Having the experience of "Life's little Trials" in them certainly helps and as Dr Bill noted, it can be found in the younger ones and not necessarily in the older ones, so I've found, if you BOTH get along, then roll with the flow.. times change, people change, the Glue that holds it together is the desire to continue it..

So "Glue-less in Seattle"... :blink: just rolls with the flow when it hits him in the face.. :o whenever that might be...
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#73 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:26 PM

She's not hiding. She's being elusive.

Hopefully she won't be elusive this Sunday at Leo Carillo?

#74 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:01 PM

Give her a hug for me.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#75 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

Give her a hug for me.

Will do! I think DiverJan is also going to be there. We haven't seen her around here in a while ... I'll find out the skinny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users