• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CONTEST: So tell us how you got lucky?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#46 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

Ummmmmmmmmmm........ Kamala..........? :teeth: As I remember.....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#47 yaj12795

yaj12795

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water- working on Advanced
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

Luck, it's not luck, I'm single, live in the North, Great diving but COLD... Yes, I am also a wimp. And single for the most part.(have girl friend, but never married) Never seem to find that person who is a lady at night and a girl at play on vacation and a good friend all the time, so I typed in single's diving one day and their it was. Know I'm not the C.E.O of anything but when I have the funds I like to travel, and I LOVE the water, almost more than, well or I would dive first than, so I thought I would give this a try.
Wish I could make the May trip but, cannot. I will be going of to Bahamas end of June, and would love to have people to dive with. This will be my 5th dive trip by myself, but I always meet great people were ever I go.
Single Divers, That say's it all, hope to change that someday but for know, It's just one big happy family.....
Jay (hay did I win) LOL.

#48 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:02 PM

Hey W.W.,

I don't suppose it's all that ironic that so many have found you and your site after recently becoming single. But...... MAYBE.......it could answer your question in another thread about ideas on how to further promote your site.....DIVORCE COURTS!!!!! All across the country!!!! Can you see it? Posts in the restrooms, at the front doors, on the judges benches, SD.DIVERS flags out on the poles in front of the court houses....I think it could work.

O.K. Maybe not, but here is my story anyway.

I first starting diving about 20 years ago with some personal instruction in a private swimming pool in the sticks of North central Texas as a young teenager. I was intrigued with the underwater world. I never took nor had the opportunity to pusue it till some 18 years later.

My wife and I were on a second disaster Carnival cruise trip to Cozumel, when sure as ship, the boat broke down. Lost the portside propulsion system. (The left side prop fell in the #@$^ing water). It took us 8 hours longer to finally port (due to cruising in biga$$ circles). When we finally made port I was bound and determined to get off that boat for good. I had already decided I would hitchhike back to Texas before I was gonna get back on that broken down foreign registered piece-a-ship boat. I figured on swimming the river at the border if need be. So we did!!!

As the stay in Cozumel progressed, :fish: I began to realize what a bummer she could be so I decided to follow up on the diving interests I had never pursued.

Took the a-typical 2 hour spanish style diving orientation that lasted the usual 20 minutes. Then a 1 hour 20-30 ft beach dive. I was then invited on two reef dives for the next day, 1 of which was to 80 ft. (which I was obviously qualified to do given my extraordinary level of experience and comfort, witnessed by the professional divemaster who lived in his car just out of eyesight of the Cozumel International diveshop /massage parlor/haircare and tire center there on the beach).

Well, needless to say, given the attitude of my then wife, even suicide at 80 ft seemed a better option than 4 more days of that. :diver: So I went.

Totally fell in love! Had to pursue this! More peace and serenity than I could remember since the womb, but with vision!!! :taz:

Now, a couple a three years later, 1-1/2 years after separation, suicide at any depth seemed promising, :taz: so I logged onto the internet to search for diving and found you guys.

SINGLEDIVERS.COM.....What a concept......SINGLE divers. I could go for this! Now all I lack is getting...what's that called? Certified, yeah, that's it. Something worth living for. I can't imagine why I really need all this training, after all the divemaster at the Cozumel International diveshop /massage parlor/haircare and tire center thought I was GOOD, but I'm doing it anyway, solely for the purpose of being able to attend some of your trips.

You've given me hope in this world and I have only you to thank for this! :birthday:

Well that's my story and I look forward to meeting and diving with as many of you as I can afford to connect with as trips come along.

Sincerely,
Hawkeye1251
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

#49 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:00 AM

Scuba Board or ScubaStop - one or the other... I don't remember :birthday:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#50 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:38 AM

Oh my gosh, Hawkeye! You had me ROFL with your story! :P Sorry to hear about how you became single, but you sure can tell a story! :P So glad you found us!

Kamala - Hawkeye's story gets my vote for the entertainment value alone! :D

#51 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 03 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

Rock on, Hawkeye! We all look forward to diving with you on a future SD.com trip!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#52 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:20 PM

This one time.....at Scuba Camp...

Who am I kidding?

I saw a picture with a banner with the SD url on it in the photo section for the Athens park while trying to find places to dive in Texas.

Looked like a fun group to play spin the pickle with, so I came on over one dark night. The rest is hystery.

PlatypusMan

..presented in glorious Platypiivision.

#53 David Evans

David Evans

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:47 PM

Mine's pretty easy. I pissed off the rest of the internet.

Finally found a group of people nice enough to tolerate me.

:wavey: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2: :angel2:
"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep."
Psalms 107:23-24

#54 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:59 PM

found your ad in a copy of Scuba News at the LDS
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#55 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:33 PM

I have always been a "single diver" due to the fact that my wife has no interest what so ever in diving or tropical vacations. So I have always muddled along and found dive buddies on the trips that I have been on. A few years ago I went on a Nekton trip and met a really cool bunch of people. 4 couples actually and they did not care that I was there by myself. We have been doing a group dive thing once a year since then. My second trip each year fell back to the old single routine. Two years ago I was on SB and found the "singles" trip to Utila and signed up for that. Well it turned out that "some" people were pissed off because not all of us on the trip were actually single and looking. My bad for just wanting to go diving. That mess went so far that I got booted from the thread and lost all contacts with the others from the trip and I did'nt even do anything other than be "unvailable" . This year I had a trip all lined up with my regular group of buddies. We were going to Bonaire for 10 days when due to circumstances the trip had to be canceled. So once again I found my self looking for someone to go diving with, that is when I found the post on SB about the Nekton trip. I had been wanting to do the Nekton Belize trip for a while so I checked out the link and found SD.

I'm looking forward to going diving with the folks on this board. Seems that nobody cares if I'm not looking for a "date" :cheerleader:
Sea Turtle advocate!

#56 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

I'm looking forward to going diving with the folks on this board. Seems that nobody cares if I'm not looking for a "date" :P

Nope don't care! In fact its nice to have a well rounded group of divers in our midst!!! Besides...our Married But Buddyless Divers or MBBD's as we call them give the rest of us great insight and hope...those that are looking that is. :cool1:

Welcome again and :cheerleader: for sharing your story!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#57 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,620 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

found your ad in a copy of Scuba News at the LDS

Cool...glad to see my ad it paying off! One member so far!!! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#58 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 22 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

It was a hot that day in the desert my friends. The sun was setting off in the distance and the last of the days heat rising from the sand caused the outer edges of the yellow orb to undulate. There was a gentle breeze from the north east and yet and the air was oppressive. We were in the deep desert, two days out from the Farafra oasis. Our 4x4's, a collection of Land Rovers and Nissan pickups were arranged in a loose arc with the tents sitting to the rear of the vehicles. A small fire burned in an upside down garbage can lid near the centre of the camp. More for atmosphere than heat, but a necessity in a few short hours when the desert turned into a refrigerator. The dig had gone well and we were returning to Alexandrea with several 18th dynasty artifacts and one particularly fine example of an alabaster canopic jar.

My attention was on Mustafa, the porter and son of one of the drivers. Bedouin by descent, his attitude had only gotten worse over the last two weeks. Mustafa had not set up the interior of my tent as instructed. The sleeping bag was on the wrong side and my flashlight still had dead batteries in it even though he had been told three times to replace them. I was upbraiding him in rapid Arabic and in return he was argumentative and sullen. Several of the others looked on in mild amusement. I had raised my hand to cuff him when I heard a distant sound and my arm froze in place. It was on the edge of consciousness, barely audible over the usual camp noises and conversations taking place around us.

It faded, it came back then faded again. However, it was getting slightly louder with each cycle. The realization that it was music came to me just as a beige Jeep with no top ploughed at speed over the rim of a close dune. The impact of the bumper sprayed sand in all directions as it leapt into the air. A high pitched feminine 'ye-haaaaaaaa' rang out raising the hairs on the back of my neck. Nose heavy, the Jeep fell forward and landed on all four wheels on the downward side of the dune heading directly for an impact with one of our Land Rovers. When it had rolled onto the flat part of the basin, brakes were applied heavily and the Jeep slewed to a stop inches from the Land Rover bumper.

The sole occupant of the Jeep was a long haired blond covered from head to toe with a fine layer of dust and sand. She wore light pants with desert boots, a bright psychedelic tie-die T-shirt, red kerchief on her head and goggles to keep the desert at bay. The song, now loud and quite discernible was Ballroom Blitz. The sand, thrown into the air by the impact and heavy landing, came down in thin sheets to cover everyone in the vicinity as she turned off the engine, ending the guitar solo. Shading my eyes to protect them I saw her leap from the drivers seat armed with a brilliant smile. In her right hand she held out a dozen or so copies of an advertising brochure...

"Hi! My name is Kamala and I wanted to tell you about SingleDivers.com..."

- or -

WW told me about it on another board... You choose which version you like... :unsure:

Edited by shadragon, 22 February 2007 - 09:43 AM.

Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#59 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:25 AM

I have always been a "single diver" due to the fact that my wife has no interest what so ever in diving or tropical vacations. So I have always muddled along and found dive buddies on the trips that I have been on. A few years ago I went on a Nekton trip and met a really cool bunch of people. 4 couples actually and they did not care that I was there by myself. We have been doing a group dive thing once a year since then. My second trip each year fell back to the old single routine. Two years ago I was on SB and found the "singles" trip to Utila and signed up for that. Well it turned out that "some" people were pissed off because not all of us on the trip were actually single and looking. My bad for just wanting to go diving. That mess went so far that I got booted from the thread and lost all contacts with the others from the trip and I did'nt even do anything other than be "unvailable" . This year I had a trip all lined up with my regular group of buddies. We were going to Bonaire for 10 days when due to circumstances the trip had to be canceled. So once again I found my self looking for someone to go diving with, that is when I found the post on SB about the Nekton trip. I had been wanting to do the Nekton Belize trip for a while so I checked out the link and found SD.

I'm looking forward to going diving with the folks on this board. Seems that nobody cares if I'm not looking for a "date" :unsure:

No, you most certainly will not have the same experience here on SD! We welcome all buddyless divers regardless of their relationship or marital status! We are an equal opportunity diving "singles" site!

#60 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:33 AM

No, you most certainly will not have the same experience here on SD! We welcome all buddyless divers regardless of their relationship or marital status! We are an equal opportunity diving "singles" site!

Totally true! I have absolutely no desire to date cmt489 (blonde, wrong gender...etc. :P), but we dive together and have become the greatest of friends! :unsure:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users