• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#76 mongoose

mongoose

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
  • Cert Level:Training Assistant
  • Logged Dives:110

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:50 AM

Just finished having a tiff with the boyfriend over jealously issues (his) and I have to ask the fundamental question - why do people get jealous when they have been given no reason to do so?

Reader's Digest version of events -  My boyfriend and I had already agreed that we were not seeing each other this night.  I got a call from a friend that I have not seen in almost a year who is from Germany and is only in town for two days asking if I want to meet up for coffee with him and his female friend that he is staying with in town.  I say sure.  Coffee turns into dinner and drinks (remember, there are three of us and this guy and I have NEVER dated).  I get a phone call on my cell while out from my boyfriend just wondering where I am and I tell him.  This starts a whole stream of jealousy that I think we have finally resolved (for the most part).  When I asked him in his jealous fit if he didn't trust me, his response, "Why?  Is there a reason I shouldn't?"  Hmmm.

It should be noted that I have never done anything that would in anyway create trust issues.  I have always been open and honest and would never cheat or even think of cheating on someone.

Anyhow, back onto topic.  Why do people get jealous in relationships?  I never have so it is an emotion that I simply don't understand.  :)

Any insight??

I was at a party one time where my GF sat in another guy's lap for two or three hours with her arm around his shoulders, and let him put his hand squarely on her hip/behind area. I think we can all agree that this is a clear "I'm interested" signal to a guy. She had to have known I would notice it.

I will admit it bothered me, but I wouldn't call it jealousy, I would describe it more as concern.

I thought quite a bit about it during what was a very quiet ride home, but in the end I decided not to confront her about it, but I think I should have done so, in a calm and reasonable way.

If I had it to do over again, I would have told her what I saw, how I reacted to it, and asked her if she was happy and content in our relationship, and whether or not she was interested in continuing it. If so, I would have ASKED (not demanded or ordered) that she not send flirting signals to other guys, and if she was not willing or able to promise that, then we should terminate the intimate side of the realtionship, and move forward, to the extent possible, on a friendship basis.

Ironically, in the end, another guy asked her out and she jumped at the opportunity. Personally I think she was just biding her time until someone else came along, but I couldn't prove that. Whatever... hope she's having a good life, wherever she is.

I make my expectations of a partner (expectations that are the same for myself) crystal clear very early on in the dating process, and one of those is: no flirting with other guys. And I don't flirt with other women. Period. If that's a problem, we don't need to waste time pursuing one another.

As far as why jealousy happens...I think being cuckolded, or being had, in a relationship is not something anyone would like to have happen to them, and apprehension about that is what starts trust issues rolling. Just have to catch it, and deal with it, before it snowballs into a problem.

Anyway, that's my rambling, worth exactly what you paid for it :)

Take care...
--'Goose
Kerry Thomas

My opinions, philosophy, and outlook on life are mine and, as such, are only a perfect fit for me.

#77 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

I was at a party one time where my GF sat in another guy's lap for two or three hours with her arm around his shoulders, and let him put his hand squarely on her hip/behind area..........Ironically, in the end, another guy asked her out and she jumped at the opportunity.

It was clear you couldn't trust her. You're better off, but I'm sorry you had to experience that.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#78 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:08 AM

Heyya Goose,

You hit the nail on the head...

Had you confronted her, the response might have been....
"What are you talking about, I wasn't flirting, he was just a nice guy I was talking with..., why are you so jealous... etc..."

Either they aren't aware of what they are doing, which is hard to believe...
or
They are flirting, don't really care about your feelings and are pretty much focused on themselves...

So you are better off without them.... it's just hard to spot the symptoms early enough.

This is the example of the ealier post I did on " .. I attract the wrong type of women... wouldn't date anyone who wanted to go out with me.. etc..."

It's a tough one... but good to see you saw it for what it was and got out quickly.. next time you'll spot it earlier... but also recognize that you might be generally attracted to (and they are attracted to you) the wrong "Type personality?", but it's a basic miss-match..

Good luck eh?? :)
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#79 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:36 AM

I will have to agree with Walter and Frank. You are better off without her.

I think that sort of behavior is fine if YOU ARE NOT IN A RELATIONSHIP. Once a relationship is established that same behavior becomes unacceptable.
I don't understand it. It is easy to establish expectations in the relationship. It is also easy to let the other person know that you want the relationship to move to another level. (ex We only date each other, and no sitting on other mens laps.) None of this is hard to do.

Single = flirt with lots of men = Good behavior
Involved = flirt with only 1 guy = Good behavior.
Involved = flirt with lots of men = Skanky, bad behavior. And lap sitting with a guy that is not your guy... I don't think I can type that here, one of the mods will pull it for sure. :)

I always thought this was basic rules to live by. If the guy I am with is not working out. I will end it before moving on to the next.

Had to add something. mongooses post was too good to pass up. :)
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#80 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

Had to add something. mongooses post was too good to pass up. :lmao:

I agree...and you said it so eloquently!!! :) :)
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#81 Warthog

Warthog

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox, & Night
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:55 AM

Personally I think she was just biding her time until someone else came along

A single friend of mine is much like that. Everybody, I mean EVERYBODY thinks her current boyfriend is all wrong for her. They've broken up and got back together more times than I can count.

We've pretty much determined she's just afraid of being alone, and her current BF is the best she can do (in her mind). Too bad too, as she's got a lot going for her.

-Warthog

#82 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

Send her my way! :)
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#83 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:02 AM

I was at a party one time where my GF sat in another guy's lap for two or three hours with her arm around his shoulders, and let him put his hand squarely on her hip/behind area.

Leave her happy ass at the party. I'm sure she'll get all she deserves.

Keep the faith my brother. In the words of an old song, "WE SHALL OVERCOME SOMEDAY."

Some peoples kids - can you believe it.

#84 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:39 AM

Send her my way!  :P

:lmao:

#85 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:20 AM

Michelle sweetie,

Someone in this thread gave you the advice to sit down and discuss this jealousy thing with your boyfriend. Do it if you want the relationship to continue and to grow. He needs to understand you and you need to understand him. Completely, not just a little bit. Trust in each other hopefully will resolve jealousy problems even if there are past and current insecurities that he has to deal with.

If I was jealous of Donna, we would never have gotten married. She is an Electrical Engineer. Hell, there are one heck of a lot of guys in Engineering, so most of her friends are guys. I do look at her sometimes and wonder what the heck she ever saw in me and just think that I must be the luckiest guy in the world.

Your boyfriend should just consider himself lucky and allow you to be you. If you are an independent person, and it seems that you are. You will be independent even when you find the right person and make yourselves a couple. The right guy will recognize that and never try to restrict your friendships. If this guy really wants you for the long run, he will understand this, but if you don't sit down and discuss it with him, it may take longer than you want it to take. If he can't accept the situation, then it's better to find out now than later, because if that's the case, then the relationship cannot go forward. I could probably go on, but you have received some great advice in this thread. Take it and use it as you will, then make your decisions.

It can work Michelle, today is our 26th anniversary. And I still wonder what the heck she ever saw in me. But am I jealous? I never have been. I trust her with my life. That's a good thing, because she is also my flight instructor when I need instructing.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#86 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:21 AM

:lmao:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#87 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

All I can say Dennis is thank you for your words of support and such a sweet post! In fact, thank you to everyone that has posted in this thread. Your thoughts and insight have meant a lot.

Update on the relationship: Other issues have arisen but we are trying to work our way through them. We both care very much for each other but some fundamental things have to be worked out if this relationship is to succeed. Of course, my own personal belief is that new relationships become harder and harder to start as we all get older and more set in our ways. Let's face it - at 32 I am certainly less willing to compromise and change than I was at 22! All the same, if it is worth it then I suppose we will both need to work at it! :lmao:

#88 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:29 AM

Dennis,

While the converse is also true - Donna's got a great deal and she knows it.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#89 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:37 AM

Of course, my own personal belief is that new relationships become harder and harder to start as we all get older and more set in our ways. Let's face it - at 32 I am certainly less willing to compromise and change than I was at 22!

Criminy ... wait 'til you get to 42!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#90 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

....Let's face it - at 32 I am certainly less willing to compromise and change than I was at 22!...

Heheheh.. Gawd, at 32? you're less inclined to compromise???
Geesh.. how do you think US OLD Geezers feel/think...
Young Wipper-Snappers.. :lmao: ..... :P ... :)

Actually it's both ways...
- one get more tolerant of quirks figuring it's just them and there's more good to it than bad, no point in worrying bout it so long as both are aware of the concern.

- two, don't feel the need to change a basic trait or accept other values and becomes more "Acute" to the signs of undesirable habits.

So it does seem to get worse, but balances off with the other..
Ying/yang... always a balance somewhere.
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users