• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

When do you wish...

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#91 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

Goes back to the "bad boy" thing even.  The Bad Boy looks and acts very confident...but often that's just a cover for the soft hearted sentimental man buried underneath scared to death he'll be discovered.  When actually the real person behind the facade is probably a very wonderful man...or could be.

So take this man, already hiding from himself and the world, and pair him up with a no nonsense woman who takes charge and does what needs to be done when it needs to be done.  How long do you think it will be till he shrivels up with feelings of insecurity or inadequacy?

For a truly confident man, not one hiding behind the Bad Boy facade, it's no problem.  But how many of us, men and women alike, don't hide behind a little bit of something?  Thus, the truly confident man is few and far between; making the chances of a confident man and independent woman pairing up even less likely.

Hey...it's reality, but it doesn't mean that I'm not going to have fun looking!  :respect:

Twinklez! What an absolute delight to have you here with us! :banghead:

I agree with your thoughts on the pairing of an independent woman with a *bad boy* man -- although my personal definition of a *bad boy* isn't so forgiving! :clapping: (I likened them to whipping cream in another thread recently -- great as the occasional hit of sugar, but useless when it comes to providing anything of sustenance.) I guess such men could just be extremely insecure or inadequate as you say, but I think, mistakenly perhaps, that they just don't have much to offer in terms of any kind of depth -- emotions, thoughts, feelings, conversation, etc. They're just shallow and/or egocentric. The same applies to some women too, of course. :D

I believe we all hide behind a little something as well. Perhaps it's a defense mechanism against being too vulnerable to the wrong people. As long as one is aware of one's *shield*, I think it's OK though. I know for myself, when I meet people that I sincerely feel comfortable and *safe* with, I'm all too happy to eventually share my *delightful* foibles and quirks! It's part of what makes me me! And if someone has a problem with that -- whether they be a friend or lover -- then they probably weren't meant to be in my life. As well, I'm always appreciative and accepting of such charming characteristics in my friends as well. (I'm actually honored and flattered that they like and trust me enough to share their perceived *flaws* with me.) After all, there's nothing new under the sun! :D

So yes, it certainly is reality, but if there are women like you and me who feel this way, I'm sure there are male equivalents as well. Look at Neptuner! :P

An aside to Twinklez:

I recently attended a lecture for women only. :clapping: The speaker was a bit dry so we sat there quiet as polite mice. I saw an opportunity to ask a question and took it, and boy was the room on fire after that! How refreshing, amusing, and informative to swap tales of the big O with a room full of strangers! Some of these women were just so keen to question and share that I almost wondered if this was a topic rarely discussed amongst their own personal group of friends; the sense of relief in the air was palpable. If a group of strangers -- albeit women -- can do it, I like to think that a man and woman can do it too.

:)

#92 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,708 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:38 AM

I do.

Practicing I see my dear???

Its always good to keep in practice! :banghead:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#93 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,708 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:41 AM

But as it was, I went on the computer and found the trip to NC in August. And I just might go if there's room.

I'm with you girl...seems I spend most of my time on a computer...and I too find lots of dive trips to take with all these really cool...fun...and great single and buddyless divers! :P

Who knows...one may even take my bubbles away one day! :banghead:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#94 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:43 AM

Oh... and I don't have a bad boy nor confident facade.  (and could never have, not matter how hard I tried!!!!)

Wes, my dear, you sell yourself far too short! I think the key word you used was *facade*. From what I see of you via the board and PMs, you don't need a facade. You're great as you are! :banghead:

WYSIWYG

In your case, it's a good thing! :P

#95 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Annasea, I think I'd start looking at my calendar!  (Especially after that crockpot analogy.)

I hear you, girlfriend, but the PM's gotta come first! :P + :banghead:

#96 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,708 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:55 AM

As for things I wish I had a member of the opposite sex to help me with....

1. I used to love doing the yardwork...but now that I work 2 jobs...there is no time.
2. I never really enjoyed doing car/vehicle maintanence but at least I used to get it done when needed...now it seems to be a royal PITA making sure stuff gets done like it should.
3. I'm pretty strong for a girl...stronger than most...but when I get a wild hair to start moving things like big pieces of furniture...or rearranging the garage...or hauling lots of stuff...it would be nice to have another set of hands!
4. I adore Christmas and go a bit wild with the decorations...gosh I'd sure love a guy to help me haul out all the Christmas booty from the attic! Oh yes...and help me hang the Christmas lights!
5. My house is wired with all kinds of techno gadgets that allow me to remotely turn things on all over...even lots of fun things. :banghead: However sometimes those remote controls have a way of not doing what they are supposed to do and when I reach the point of utter frustration...it would be VERY nice indeed for a guy to calmly step in...take the poor helpless device out of my hands...preferably BEFORE it goes flying across the room and simply mash the button with whatever magic guys possess with remote controls and make it work like its supposed to! Unfortunately its been awhile since I've had this luxury and so I have a very large collection of busted remotes...pda's....and assorted other gadgets! :P
6. And finally...I too really miss not having that alternate perspective that guys uniquely have...that way of simplifying things so that I can more clearly make a decision...or realize that the one I've just made is just fine as it is...and offer the comfort of knowing that I'm not always alone in this world fending for myself. Yes...that is one of the things I miss the most. Oh yes...and not having someone to practice being and ultimately being a parent with!

formerly...

#97 sfret

sfret

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70+

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:10 AM

How about just enjoying life. Yawl make it too complicated. It's supposed to be like a mountain drive. You can't chane the road ahead. Just adjust to make it safely around the curves and ENJOY THE VIEW.

But, our world demands we fix things before we get there....knowing we can't stop it from breaking when we get there.

Damn. Now I'm getting deep.

What happened to just enjoying things together. I'm mostly hoping to have somebody to slow down with me and us keep each other when the old bods are getting old and tired.

BTW. Hanging Christmas lights is great fun for me. Can I bring the granddaughters to help learn the tradition? (3 & 5). I don't know why neighborhoods don't do it anymore (or fireworks for that matter).

Can't we all just get along without Freud?
"Can't we all just get along?" -Rodney King

#98 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:17 AM

Wes, my dear, you sell yourself far too short! I think the key word you used was *facade*. From what I see of you via the board and PMs, you don't need a facade. You're great as you are! :welcome:

WYSIWYG

In your case, it's a good thing! :cool1:

Awww shucks :blush:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#99 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,708 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:31 AM

BTW. Hanging Christmas lights is great fun for me. Can I bring the granddaughters to help learn the tradition? (3 & 5). I don't know why neighborhoods don't do it anymore (or fireworks for that matter).

Sure...why not? Sounds like fun! Besides...children are what Christmas is all about!!!

As for the slowing down part...heck I'm still learning how to speed up! Of course running a full time business in your spare time will do that to ya!!! :welcome:

formerly...

#100 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:40 AM

Hmmm... I think I have your answer.

As for things I wish I had a member of the opposite sex to help me with....
1. I used to love doing the yardwork...but now that I work 2 jobs...there is no time.

So you're looking for a garderner?

2. I never really enjoyed doing car/vehicle maintanence but at least I used to get it done when needed...now it seems to be a royal PITA making sure stuff gets done like it should.

... and a mechanic?

3. I'm pretty strong for a girl...stronger than most...but when I get a wild hair to start moving things like big pieces of furniture...or rearranging the garage...or hauling lots of stuff...it would be nice to have another set of hands!

... and a day laborer?

4. I adore Christmas and go a bit wild with the decorations...gosh I'd sure love a guy to help me haul out all the Christmas booty from the attic! Oh yes...and help me hang the Christmas lights!

... I think I'm reading "indentured servant" at this point.

5. My house is wired with all kinds of techno gadgets that allow me to remotely turn things on all over...even lots of fun things.  :P However sometimes those remote controls have a way of not doing what they are supposed to do and when I reach the point of utter frustration...it would be VERY nice indeed for a guy to calmly step in...take the poor helpless device out of my hands...preferably BEFORE it goes flying across the room and simply mash the button with whatever magic guys possess with remote controls and make it work like its supposed to! Unfortunately its been awhile since I've had this luxury and so I have a very large collection of busted remotes...pda's....and assorted other gadgets!  :teeth:

... back to mechanic ... or electrical engineer.

6. And finally...I too really miss not having that alternate perspective that guys uniquely have...that way of simplifying things so that I can more clearly make a decision...or realize that the one I've just made is just fine as it is...

http://www.webster.c...ionary&va=logic 'nuff said!

and offer the comfort of knowing that I'm not always alone in this world fending for myself. Yes...that is one of the things I miss the most.

... security blanket?

Oh yes...and not having someone to practice being and ultimately being a parent with!

... practice being a parent? :teeth: You gonna snatch kids off the playground?

:teeth:

You know I love ya, Kamala!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#101 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,708 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:02 PM

Now Jexy...the post was what I'd love help with...to be fair I need to post what I love doing as well...

but then again its not a 'want ad' either!!!

You are incorrigible my dear.... :lmao:

formerly...

#102 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

Oh yes...and not having someone to practice being and ultimately being a parent with!

... practice being a parent? :o You gonna snatch kids off the playground?

:lmao:

#103 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:12 AM

Oh... and I don't have a bad boy nor confident facade. (and could never have, not matter how hard I tried!!!!)

Wes, I know I don't know you, but it doesn't appear to me as though you need a facade at all. :-)

Twinklez

#104 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

Wes, I know I don't know you, but it doesn't appear to me as though you need a facade at all.  :-)

Twinklez

Fanx hon. :twist:
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#105 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

Twinklez! What an absolute delight to have you here with us! :(

Thank you, Annasea; I'm really enjoying my new found friends.

I agree with your thoughts on the pairing of an independent woman with a *bad boy* man -- although my personal definition of a *bad boy* isn't so forgiving! :P (I likened them to whipping cream in another thread recently -- great as the occasional hit of sugar, but useless when it comes to providing anything of sustenance.) I guess such men could just be extremely insecure or inadequate as you say, but I think, mistakenly perhaps, that they just don't have much to offer in terms of any kind of depth -- emotions, thoughts, feelings, conversation, etc. They're just shallow and/or egocentric. The same applies to some women too, of course. :D

That's it pretty much in a nutshell...and the Bad Boy image is used to coverup the flaws whether insecure, feeling inadequate, shallow, egocentric or something else.

I believe we all hide behind a little something as well. Perhaps it's a defense mechanism against being too vulnerable to the wrong people. As long as one is aware of one's *shield*, I think it's OK though.

I think sometimes my independent nature is a major part of my shield. As though it will keep me from being taken advantage of. NOT! The takers see right through my shield; I give till it hurts anyway and have only myself to blame. So in some ways, that shield is also meant to protect us from ourselves as well...our own flaws.

I know for myself, when I meet people that I sincerely feel comfortable and *safe* with, I'm all too happy to eventually share my *delightful* foibles and quirks! It's part of what makes me me! And if someone has a problem with that -- whether they be a friend or lover -- then they probably weren't meant to be in my life. As well, I'm always appreciative and accepting of such charming characteristics in my friends as well. (I'm actually honored and flattered that they like and trust me enough to share their perceived *flaws* with me.) After all, there's nothing new under the sun! :D 

As you can see, I share easily. I've been someone else for other people for way too long; and now it's time to just be me. And you're very right...it's a treasure when someone shares their own perceptions of themselves.

Look at Neptuner! :D

I did, well I try. If I could just lighten that picture a tad bit to better see his smile... :twist:

I saw an opportunity to ask a question and took it, and boy was the room on fire after that!

Isn't it amazing how the courage of one person can be so contageous?

If a group of strangers -- albeit women -- can do it, I like to think that a man and woman can do it too.

There is always something at stake when you share your secrets. To be honest, I believe some of my best friends (the ones I share the most with) have been men; but not men that I'm romantically involved with.

I started to say in my first post, that friendship from a significant other wasn't really something I missed having, because I don't think it's something I've ever really had. I changed my mind and just went along with saying it was something I missed; only telling half the truth. Maybe I'm somewhat to blame for not having had it...because it's the men I'm romantically involved with that I tend to share less with. For some reason I have the perception that there is more at stake when I share with them. But there shouldn't be...not if the person truly cares about "me" and "us."

Wow...what a can of worms we've opened! Wait...didn't CaliD open this can of worms? That explains it...I'm truly a SoCal girl under this Texan facade. :-)

Twinklez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users