• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Would You Marry Again? or Say Never Again?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:00 PM

During a discussion at the recent HH, it became apparent that many of us had not just one, but multiple failed marriages. One of the two men I was involved in the conversation with firmly spoke up and said "I'll never marry again!" The other quietly said "Never say never."

Unless I'm mistaken, I was the one who said 'never say never.'

Why do I take such a middle-of-the-road approach? Because as I continue through life, I've found that what I once adamantly stated "for all time" for me has many times been cast aside for reasons of practicality, acquired knowledge that changed the nature of the condition that brought about the statement and yes--I grew up some along the way as well.

So to make such a blanket statement now seems pretty silly and limiting to me--and why should I limit my life based on something that will probably pass over time?

I know that I would not be averse to marriage or a similar, equally fulfilling relationship. There was a time when I could not imagine writing such a thing in my wildest dreams...therefore 'never say never.'

Platypusman
Anyone looking for a slightly used Platypusman?

#17 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:06 PM

There are probably a few of us that could be considered 'damaged goods' on the site (judging by some of the topics) .... me among them - (guess that's why a lot of us are single - not just buddy-less) .... In answer to the question, I went several years with the attitude of never again - no way - no how ... then I thought, "maybe - just maybe" (even got to the point of being engaged) ... at this point in time, I'm not sure if I will ever allow myself to even be in a relationship again.. A person gets tired of failing ... to the point of giving up... It just simply isn't worth the emotional drain you have to go though with each new failure .....

I think this might be the category some people may fall into after a few failed relationships (or at least the attitude that develops and is very difficult to alter). It may take years sometimes, but I think that the need for companionship rages on within ourselves despite a persons resolve to stay out of the game. It is just human nature to need a mate (married or not).

And getting married gets more complicated as you start to accumulate things ... Are they interested in you... or what you have... Is it really a marriage if you ask for a prenuptial.... do you really love them if you have to have one... are you willing to risk it without one ... What do they have in mind if they won't agree to one....?

I've read some of the other posts on other threads and wish that I had the healthy attitude and outlook that many of you have, but I don't.

#18 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

Anyone looking for a slightly used Platypusman?

Slightly used, but oh so charming...

I've read some of the other posts on other threads and wish that I had the healthy attitude and outlook that many of you have, but I don't.

No worries...some of us say what we say because we're still trying to convince ourselves. We practice self-talk (whether we realize it or not) to have the courage to keep on trying. Talking the talk and walking the walk are two very different things, and we're all still single aren't we?

Many of my posts are a way for me to answer questions in my own mind, because my jury is still out on a lot of subjects. And because the jury renders a verdict it doesn't mean I won't decide to override it at some later point in time either. Sometimes my heart wins the arguments my head presents.

I wonder how many of us that say we'd want a prenup will have the guts to stand up and ask for one if the situation arose. Or how many of us would actually be able to walk away from love when the other party suggested he or she needed a formal commitment to proceed any further

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 08:15 PM.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

There are probably a few of us that could be considered 'damaged goods' on the site (judging by some of the topics) .... me among them - (guess that's why a lot of us are single - not just buddy-less) .... In answer to the question, I went several years with the attitude of never again - no way - no how ... then I thought, "maybe - just maybe" (even got to the point of being engaged) ... at this point in time, I'm not sure if I will ever allow myself to even be in a relationship again.. A person gets tired of failing ... to the point of giving up... It just simply isn't worth the emotional drain you have to go though with each new failure .....

I think this might be the category some people may fall into after a few failed relationships (or at least the attitude that develops and is very difficult to alter). It may take years sometimes, but I think that the need for companionship rages on within ourselves despite a persons resolve to stay out of the game. It is just human nature to need a mate (married or not).

And getting married gets more complicated as you start to accumulate things ... Are they interested in you... or what you have... Is it really a marriage if you ask for a prenuptial.... do you really love them if you have to have one... are you willing to risk it without one ... What do they have in mind if they won't agree to one....?

Casey having met you in person last fall I would say that you should NEVER give up. You are a very engaging, fun, caring, kind, handsome and just a tad bit of a devilish guy! All the good stuff...you just need the right woman to appreciate you...and vice versa!

Aside from that...your observations are very valid about accumulating things...about growing and reaching a point where people want to risk again...or more accurately are willing to risk again for the possibility of love.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:00 PM

ok.... so 1 marriage and 1 divorce for me. plenty of relationships that have gone nowhere. my sister has been married twice and is a single mother

i dont think i will dwell on those..... i do think that many marriages dont last because it is simple and easy and now socially acceptable to just walk away. our expectations are too high, our tolerance is low and at every turn we are told by society (tv etc..) that it is ok to lessen out standards and just do as we please.
that being said... i would gladly get married again if the right opportunity presented itself. finding someone who shares my values and passions in life would be rewarding.
i think everybody is in a different situation and has different needs.

#21 sniperdiver

sniperdiver

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

And John, I was the one who said NEVER!!!! I have been burned badly once emotionally and once Financially. I have gotten over the Emotional part now by realizing that not all women are lying, cheating, sluts!!!!! oh did I say that out loud.......

But it is really hard to drop tens of thousands of dollars into a common goal, (a ranch), and then be expected to walk away from it with nothing. (I guess thats why I'm paying a lawyer now)!!!

I realized that my problem was that I was too trusting and giving without question and the whole time she was covering her a@@.

Not to mention that I financed a couple of Ahem.....Augmentations!!!!!!

I have learned from my mistakes, so loving, caring relationships.....YES. Marrage......NO!
Be polite. Be professional. But have a plan to kill everyone you meet!

#22 CrackedConch

CrackedConch

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

Being just beyond a month past the divorce of my first marriage, I can say the following with reasonable certainty:

1. I believe in the institution of marriage. I think it is great to share your life with someone if you find the right person. However, I have no idea how to do this. I thought when I got married that I had found the right person. I even thought, we're different, we're not going to end up part of the divorce statistic...oh well.

2. The reason there is an increase in failed marriages is a matter of social acceptance. Divorce was not that common in my parent's generation except in extreme circumstances (such as physical abuse). Divorce has become easy legally and socially: People don't tend to worry about what others think as much. Divorce used to be taboo and you were somehow "tainted" if you were divorced.

3. People are too selfish these days. Ever heard of the 'me' generation??? People are too worried about their assets and stuff. In my perfect idea of a relationship, each partner should want to make sure the other's needs are met 100%. If each partner is doing this, their own needs will be met ten-fold. However, if each person is looking after their own needs/happiness and only somewhat attending to their partner's needs, they are destined to grow apart.

4. Love is a choice. In the beginning, love is a feeling. Love continues as a feeling throughout the relationship. But it is a choice to continue loving someone. They're going to screw up. You're going to screw up. Learn to forgive and don't make mountains out of molehills. If you're selfish and only looking after your own happiness, it's easy to choose not to love someone.

5. I would get married again. I want to find someone who believes in all of the above. People only care about their assets when facing divorce. I just lost my *ss in my divorce, but I'd share everything as 'ours' again with the right girl. It's other people's horror stories that cause people to be scared.

6. People who say "never again" are scared and hiding. Relationships are a risk, period. There's always a chance you'll lose the other person. You either choose to take the risk or you choose to be alone.

#23 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:54 PM

....I have gotten over the Emotional part now by realizing that not all women are lying, cheating,.... But it is really hard to drop tens of thousands of dollars into a common goal, (a ranch), and then be expected to walk away from it with nothing. (I guess thats why I'm paying a lawyer now)!!!

The frustrating part about that is in the end the one who ultimately benefits financially is the lawyer!

I realized that my problem was that I was too trusting and giving without question and the whole time she was covering her a@@....I have learned from my mistakes, so loving, caring relationships.....YES. Marrage......NO!

Being trusting and giving should never be considered a problem; it's a wonderful quality to find in someone. I can only imagine that it would be even more wonderful if two people each having those qualities could share them. Marriage or not, if "he" doesn't have and share those qualities with me, I won't waste a minute of my time on what I would consider an empty relationship.

Just as you've realized that not all women are liars and cheats, maybe someday it will also be apparent we are not all after a man's bank account or property either. Seldom do you hear of the man getting the goldmine and the woman getting the shaft, but I can attest first hand that it happens. It is a two way street. Instead of worrying about covering my a@@, I want to meet a man who will say "I've got your back" and actually mean it; I'd do the same for him. Isn't that what it's all about - looking after and caring for each other?

Regardless of all that, my lessons in life taught me that marriage is a practical thing a couple can do (if they choose) for practical reasons, and at this stage in my life is not necessary for me to be married to realize that I am loved. (My divorces serve as great proof that marriage was only a symbol of something I wanted and didn't actually have to begin with.)

Tony and John, thank you both for your honesty. I appreciate your candid conversation with me the other night. I learned a lot about how I feel and what I really want by listening and thinking about what each of you said. What it boils down to is, regardless of the existence of a piece of paper, I want to love and be loved...really loved, forever and a day.

Being just beyond a month past the divorce of my first marriage, I can say the following with reasonable certainty:

1. I believe in the institution of marriage. I think it is great to share your life with someone if you find the right person. However, I have no idea how to do this. I thought when I got married that I had found the right person. I even thought, we're different, we're not going to end up part of the divorce statistic...oh well.

2. The reason there is an increase in failed marriages is a matter of social acceptance. Divorce was not that common in my parent's generation except in extreme circumstances (such as physical abuse). Divorce has become easy legally and socially: People don't tend to worry about what others think as much. Divorce used to be taboo and you were somehow "tainted" if you were divorced.

3. People are too selfish these days. Ever heard of the 'me' generation??? People are too worried about their assets and stuff. In my perfect idea of a relationship, each partner should want to make sure the other's needs are met 100%. If each partner is doing this, their own needs will be met ten-fold. However, if each person is looking after their own needs/happiness and only somewhat attending to their partner's needs, they are destined to grow apart.

4. Love is a choice. In the beginning, love is a feeling. Love continues as a feeling throughout the relationship. But it is a choice to continue loving someone. They're going to screw up. You're going to screw up. Learn to forgive and don't make mountains out of molehills. If you're selfish and only looking after your own happiness, it's easy to choose not to love someone.

5. I would get married again. I want to find someone who believes in all of the above. People only care about their assets when facing divorce. I just lost my *ss in my divorce, but I'd share everything as 'ours' again with the right girl. It's other people's horror stories that cause people to be scared.

6. People who say "never again" are scared and hiding. Relationships are a risk, period. There's always a chance you'll lose the other person. You either choose to take the risk or you choose to be alone.

WOW! Clear, concise and to the point. Very well said CC!

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 09:51 PM.

#24 Taniwha

Taniwha

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:56

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:59 PM

I would marry again, definitely! The good times were very, very good. The bad times were all my fault!

Hey, I can change! :lmao:

Cheers,
Doug
When your heart is full, try using your head.

#25 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:02 PM

I would marry again, definitely! The good times were very, very good. The bad times were all my fault!

Hey, I can change! :lmao:

Cheers,
Doug

:-D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Great attitude Doug!

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 10:03 PM.

#26 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

I loved being married.
It was a challenge for both of us, considering we were both alphas.
We didn't always agree but we shared the rewards.
If only we could always have cheated Death.
When it came to diving we were S.O.B.
Confident in our skills and training.
We also had a way of just turning the corner when the other needed help.
When Darlene and I team up again the adventure will continue.
Till then I"ll have to operate on the rule of Five.

1. Not married
2. Has a Job
3. Not living with their parents
4. No minor children
5. Has their own means of transportation

After that we'll discuss, exhibitionist tendencies, questionable virtues, and negotiate affection.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#27 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

Till then I"ll have to operate on the rule of Five.

1. Not married
2. Has a Job
3. Not living with their parents
4. No minor children
5. Has their own means of transportation

After that we'll discuss, exhibitionist tendencies, questionable virtues, and negotiate affection.

pm

:lmao: :-D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Are these good qualities in your book, or ???

He's warming up to us! Ladies - look out!

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 10:43 PM.

#28 SKIP

SKIP

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100-150

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Marriage is an extremely complicated business when you get down to the details of daily living. Taxes, health insurance, auto, life, disability, retirement and those pesky credit cards that no matter whose name they are in both are responsible (try to get out of it).

My situation is a little different and I hope I’m not too far off the subject.

In my last marriage I went boldly (blindly?) into it without considering the business angles. All the business stuff piled up fast; new home, get a better job to make ends meet, more travel, longer hours, every thing that comes with marriage and a family.

We were unprepared for most of it, but we grew up together and over the years learned to give and take. After thirty years all the property becomes “ours” rather than “mine”, (other than her clothes and my dive gear). Marriage is …just living, but your doing it together….ups and downs, laughs, anger, forgiving, being forgiven.

Carole and I would talk about remarrying if any thing ever happened. I was always adamant, “No way will I ever remarry”. Her response was, “Has it been that bad? You really hurt my feelings?” “No, its just that, well”…(OOPS, should have said “yes” I guess.)

Well here I am. Carole had a heart attack in her sleep and never awoke.

Will I ever remarry? As was said by one of the guys at HH, never say never. We are always in a constant state of change. I like to think of it as constantly maturing, getting wiser, becoming more tolerant and accepting, so on and so forth. Therefore any new relationships should benefit from our maturity and experience from having gone through either a good or bad relationship.

But to answer the original posted question: I am too set in my ways!! I keep long hours at work, travel when I please, answer to no one but the cats. I just can’t foresee myself being happy with a full time companion. Even after the wonderful roller coaster ride that it was, No. I doubt if I will ever remarry.

#29 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:03 PM

I don't know about warm.
I'm just an old dog that knew the rules.
I'm smarter than most Kennedy's, I know all the meanings of the word No.
When we fell in love I was a bouncer and she was looking for a fight.
It was a match made in heaven.
She told her mom, the next day, she had met the man, she was going to marry.
It took me 3 weeks to figure out that I was in love.
The hard part is that now after 25years, I'm well trained, but high milage.
Everyday I chew thru the restraints that the beast has put on me.
I then battle the beast for the rest of the day.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#30 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

Carole and I would talk about remarrying if any thing ever happened. I was always adamant, “No way will I ever remarry”. Her response was, “Has it been that bad? You really hurt my feelings?” “No, its just that, well”…(OOPS, should have said “yes” I guess.)

Well here I am. Carole had a heart attack in her sleep and never awoke.

Will I ever remarry? As was said by one of the guys at HH, never say never. We are always in a constant state of change. I like to think of it as constantly maturing, getting wiser, becoming more tolerant and accepting, so on and so forth. Therefore any new relationships should benefit from our maturity and experience from having gone through either a good or bad relationship.

But to answer the original posted question: I am too set in my ways!! I keep long hours at work, travel when I please, answer to no one but the cats. I just can’t foresee myself being happy with a full time companion. Even after the wonderful roller coaster ride that it was, No. I doubt if I will ever remarry.

It sounds like you had a truly wonderful relationship full of love, and no doubt if given her choice, Carole would still be with you today. You accomplished what we've all failed at. You loved her till she passed and most likely still do. If only the rest of us could have that. You've had enough marriage, but it sounds like it's because of accomplishment and satisfaction. How can you top what you had?

I'll keep talking to the stars asking for courage to put my heart out there, cause I want some of what you had. I want a lot of it!

Edited by Twinklez, 29 January 2006 - 11:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users