• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TekDiveGirl in Recovery

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#46 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:24 AM

Just saw this on SB:

Kimber is awake and responsive. She is still heavily sedated for pain. They are hoping to move her from critical care today to intensive

Physical Therapy should begin soon. Tek/Kimber has done pt before, so lets stay positive and hope she flies through .

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#47 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:01 AM

Thank you for the update Walter!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#48 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:33 AM

Great news - keep those thoughts, prayers, chicken blood over keyboards - whatever - going for Kimber...
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#49 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 17 June 2006 - 11:16 AM

Posted on SB

Update on 6-15-06

Kimber is awake and responsive. She is still heavily sedated for pain. They are hoping to move her from critical care today to intensive

Physical Therapy should begin soon. Tek/Kimber has done pt before, so lets stay positive and hope she flies through

Update on 6-16-06

Kimber/Tek started PT today which is going really well. They are working on "re-wiring" her hands and legs. She is frustrated and having no problem letting people know about it I think that sounds like somebody we know

Edited by nextariel, 17 June 2006 - 11:20 AM.

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#50 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

Thank you Jill for the update...sounds like the prayers and thoughts are working! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#51 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 17 June 2006 - 07:39 PM

Capn Jack
Thanks for bringing up chicken blood over keyboards! it helped me with my osteoporosis and Alzheimer's in the 80s... I think :evilgrin:

what I have read that Kimber has wrote is that Kimber is a Strong Lady and this is nothing but a set-back right now for her and a surface interval!

prayers in Faith.... And faith in Prayers!

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#52 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:23 AM

Kimber Watch Update from SB:

One of our own went to see Kimber today. All of her children have been by her side. She is still working on "re-wiring" her arms and legs. Obviously, her brain has suffered some injury. She is now able to sit up for a couple of hours a day and has stood once, with much assistance. As was said before, she is talking and responding really, really well. Physical therapy is a continuing must to get her limbs functioning again.

She looks really well today and has come such a long way in such a short amount of time - a testament to her inner strength.

I still do not know exactly what happened that day that caused her this trauma. I just know her original prognosis was grave but she is alive and is working her way back!
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#53 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:39 AM

Kimber Watch Update from SB

Nextariel - THANK you for keeping us informed.

This is great news.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#54 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

Here's the latest update from family and friends:

On Saturday June 3rd, 2006, Kimberly Thurman was diving on the wreck of the Hogan off Point Loma in San Diego off the dive boat Lois Ann. After her second dive, she surfaced and made her way on to the dive platform and informed the crew she was not feeling well.

The crew of the Lois Ann got her onto the deck and began immediate first aid treatment. She was transferred to primary care within an hour or so of the incident and then taken to a hospital for evaluation, medical care, and treatment.

Since then she has remained in the hospital moving from Critical Care to Intensive Care and will now be moved to a Rehabilitation center. She suffered a serious case of Arterial Gas Embolism. Her condition the first 10 days was critical and grave. However, she has responded remarkably well to treatment and is alive, well, and progressing. The physical therapy will take many months, as her brain has to learn how to re-do many things. Miraculously, she is awake, talking up a storm, laughing, and is on the road to healing.

We are grateful for the speed and professionalism that was shown by all those involved in her rapid and speedy rescue and transport to higher medical help, and know that was a critical part of her survival.

At this time we do not know the cause of the embolism, hopefully some future tests will help find that out.

In the meantime, we are concentrating on helping her learn to do all the basic functions that we all take for granted. We are caring for her children during this difficult time as well. It will be a long journey to recovery, but we are confident that she will be home with her family and children soon.

We appreciate all the well wishes and the contributions to Kimberly Thurman Recovery Assistance Fund. This fund was established by her friends to help with the many day to day bills that are not covered by insurance. All help is greatly appreciated, as she will not be able to work for at the least a few more months. Info on how to make contributions to her recovery fund can be found here!

As we have more updates on her condition and progress we will have them posted to the appropriate web boards.

Thank you again for all of your prayers, good wishes, and concern for our friend Kimber.

Sincerely,

Sue Schimka (Kimber's Best Friend)

#55 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 June 2006 - 09:49 PM

That is terrific news Annasea! Thank you so much for the update!

#56 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:29 AM

I am so very happy that Kimber is getting better. At first I believe we were all scared to even think about the possible outcome when we heard she was so ill. I appreciate the family letting us know the condition that caused the problems. Hopefully we will one day learn why this happened, so that one of us will not have the same problem. However, Kimber may have done everything right and still been overcome. We may never know the true cause.

Go Kimber Go!!
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#57 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 06:58 AM

Great news.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#58 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:19 AM

Hey gang...

Building on Jill aka Nextariels idea...I have modified my signature to show the "Think Pink" Challenge! I've just donated $25 to paypal for this challenge and ask that everyone else simply send $25 as well. While not a huge amount if we all send that small amount...she will certainly have a dent in the huge financial equation that is looming before her!

So take the 'Pink Challenge'.... 25 reasons and 25 bucks to support one of our own!!! -ww

Top 25 Reasons to Support Kimber aka TekDiveGirl in her time of need....

1. Cuz we can!
2. Cuz she is one of our active, supportive and contributing member!
3. Cuz we've all learned from her posts...lets give back!
4. Cuz its a small donation so won't really hurt!
5. Cuz we'd all like to think the same would be done for us!
6. Cuz we would just spend the money on something and later never recall what it was...
7. Cuz it feels good to make a difference!
8. Cuz its as easy as going to www.paypal.com and clicking on 'send money' and entering patahawkins@aol.com as the email address to send the money too!
9. Cuz deep down we all know that we are worried about her
10. And we worry that $25 isn't enough...
11. But if we do it collectively it WILL add up!
12. And we know that every little bit DOES make a difference!
13. Cuz for every dollar we offer...we'll recieve twice that much if not more in return goodness!
14. Cuz you know you want to help...so here's a simple way!
15. Cuz she has two kids who depend on her entirely as a single mom!
16. Cuz she has had our worst nightmare happen...a diving accident and it shows how vunerable we are.
17. Cuz I'm running out of reasons for you all to donate!
18. Cuz everyone likes a challenge so Take the Pink Challenge!!!
19. Cuz I'll even offer our SD - DSS Supply PINK Wings at no add'l color charge!!!
20. Cuz as divers we can change the world...or that of one of our members...please help!
21. Cuz if we all donate we can help a fellow friend and member...doesn't that feel good?
22. Cuz the sooner you donate the sooner this list will be done! LOL!!!
23. Cuz its the right thing to do! (If you can of course!)
24. Cuz really cool people help others!
25. Cuz we love Kimber!!! Go Girl!!!

And if you want to modify your signature here is the code to add to it (accessible via My Controls):

[*b][*color=#FF99FF][*size=2] [*u]Think PINK!.... [*i]TAKE THE PINK CHALLENGE!!! [/i*] [/u*] [/size*] [/b*] [b*] [size=2*]Help Kimber aka TekDiveGirl[/size*] [url=http://www.singledivers.com/surfaceinterval/index.php?showtopic=9604*]here! [/url*] [size=2*] Thank You!!![/size*] [/color*] [/b*]

NOTE: remove the *from the front and end of the code so it will work!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#59 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 20 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

Here's the latest update from family and friends:

Miraculously, she is awake, talking up a storm, laughing, and is on the road to healing.

Thank you again for all of your prayers, good wishes, and concern for our friend Kimber.

Sincerely,

Sue Schimka (Kimber's Best Friend)

Praise God for a great report!!! Great news! Contribution the the "Kimber fund" forthcoming.

ITB...
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#60 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

I've sent my $25 contribution by PayPal as well. Come on everyone! Let's do it for Kimber!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users