• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What is the secret to ruining a relationship?

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 cancunbiologist

cancunbiologist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 November 2007 - 08:19 PM

Ok so what is the secret to ruining a perfectly good relationship or keeping one from starting? I of course have a vested interest but I'm guessing others might benefit from this discussion too!

I dont usually need much help ruining a perfectly viable relationship :thankyou:

#62 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:09 AM

[Note: I was actually going to post this Friday, but the world decided to end around 11:45 and didn't recover until well after the evening news so my posting plans changed.]

Hmm...here's a few thoughts:

1. Never say what you mean, or mean what you say. Insincerety is a great way to ruin a relationship.

2. Hoard the chocolate ice cream. Never divulge its hiding place, and always let your significant other see you eating the last of it.

3. Play guessing games constantly. Never let your SO know what you really want or think. Enjoy watching them squirm as they attempt to read your thoughts.

4. Steal the covers at every opportunity. Bonus points for perpetually cold feet.

5. Never, ever, under any circumstances make any committment whatsoever. Flee the room in hysterics if the subject of the future comes up. Absolutely refuse to discuss anything beyond the day after tomorrow.

6. Dodge your SO's phone calls. Don't bother to disguise the fact that you're dodging their calls. Bonus points for talking in apparent code phrases to an opposite-sex friend over the phone while in the presence of your SO, then innocently assert that you're just good friends with the other one and that "there's nothing to it".

7. Whine constantly. About everything. Whine about the fact that you're whining.

8. Insist upon controlling every aspect of your SO's life. Exclude their family from everything. Firmly plant yourself between your SO and their parents and siblings.

9. Talk constantly about how you're such good friends with all of your ex-SOs. Especially if you have children with one or more of them. Bonus points for comparing physical and personality traits of your current SO with any one of your ex-SOs.

Now, just so this doesn't turn into one of those "top 10" lists, I'll stop there. :welcome:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#63 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

What's a viable relationship? Heck, what's a relationship? Do they last longer than 30 minutes?

#64 justscuba

justscuba

• PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Cert Level:MSDT, EFR INST,HSAI
  • Logged Dives: about 2250 cert 1973

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:38 PM

What's a viable relationship? Heck, what's a relationship? Do they last longer than 30 minutes?

30 Minutes that is called something different not a relationship. LOL

I would think to me ruining a relationship would be not showing or telling the other person what your thinking. If the other person has to assume then they make an ass/u/me and the relationship does not go anywhere. Not that I have had that many dates/relationships however, If I don't feel wanted then BYE. I know I have missed out on alot but that is me :welcome:

#65 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 13 November 2007 - 09:31 AM

[Note: I was actually going to post this Friday, but the world decided to end around 11:45 and didn't recover until well after the evening news so my posting plans changed.]

Hmm...here's a few thoughts:

1. Never say what you mean, or mean what you say. Insincerety is a great way to ruin a relationship.

2. Hoard the chocolate ice cream. Never divulge its hiding place, and always let your significant other see you eating the last of it.

3. Play guessing games constantly. Never let your SO know what you really want or think. Enjoy watching them squirm as they attempt to read your thoughts.

4. Steal the covers at every opportunity. Bonus points for perpetually cold feet.

5. Never, ever, under any circumstances make any committment whatsoever. Flee the room in hysterics if the subject of the future comes up. Absolutely refuse to discuss anything beyond the day after tomorrow.

6. Dodge your SO's phone calls. Don't bother to disguise the fact that you're dodging their calls. Bonus points for talking in apparent code phrases to an opposite-sex friend over the phone while in the presence of your SO, then innocently assert that you're just good friends with the other one and that "there's nothing to it".

7. Whine constantly. About everything. Whine about the fact that you're whining.

8. Insist upon controlling every aspect of your SO's life. Exclude their family from everything. Firmly plant yourself between your SO and their parents and siblings.

9. Talk constantly about how you're such good friends with all of your ex-SOs. Especially if you have children with one or more of them. Bonus points for comparing physical and personality traits of your current SO with any one of your ex-SOs.

Now, just so this doesn't turn into one of those "top 10" lists, I'll stop there. :-D

Cheers!

Jim

Ok..I'll add a number 10 happened to me..

10. When you have the choice, go hang out with your friends over your S.O. Bonus points when you can use your S.O. as your babysitter for your kids while you are having a great time with your buddies.

#66 DOCJASON

DOCJASON

Getting started

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW--NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 November 2007 - 12:00 PM

In my experience...and in talking to many singles and couples...I have found the #1 reason....relationship complacency...
In saying this ...I have to revert back to the early days of dating that one person...Every day is special....we primp...go thru hair fuss days..we buy that special perfume...or cologne ...we take them to their favorite place...we dress for them....we say all the right things...

then once hooked.....we lay alound and veg out...what we relied on in the past is covered over in work...being tired...or straight out lazy....in our relationships...
Making Love becomes a chore....or bland...it was exciting in the beginning....so what happened???

Heres a couple of recommendations...

For those who want new ideas....try "52 invitations to great sex" by Laura Corn...
Now these ideas are great for dating too....there are 26 hers...and 26 his...and it adds a whole newness to a trealtionship....try it ...and add diving in the mix too!!...oh...and Guys....always...remember...put the seat down when finished....

Next time your at that favorite beach get some sand....and a favorite bottle of wine....when you finish that romantic moment...either on the beach....or wherever...then add the sand and cork.....then on a special day just for her....try this guys....about 6 dozen roses petals removed and scattered from the front door to the master bath....where you have lit several candles ( her favorite scent)...have her bath drawn...and after try a nice warm oil massage after her hard day...oh...and in the tub....a love poem all rolled up....in that bottle with the sand.....and the music....."time in a bottle"....

She will think now you do remember the little things....

Diamonds are optional!!

Have a Bubbly day!!....
Doc

#67 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 November 2007 - 01:06 PM

!!...oh...and Guys....always...remember...put the seat down when finished....

Ok, I hate to hijack a thread, but this has always been one of my pet peeves! Do women not have hands? How come they never leave it UP for us? :cool1:
Drew Z.

"Winter is not a season, it's an occupation." -Sinclair Lewis

Meet Pearl and Opal, the new shark rays in Adventure Aquarium.

#68 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 15 November 2007 - 02:25 PM

Ok, I hate to hijack a thread, but this has always been one of my pet peeves! Do women not have hands? How come they never leave it UP for us? :cool1:

News flash - guys need to have the seat down on many occassions as well. Further, it looks disguisting to have a toilet with the seat up and, IMO, is unhygenic. Toilets are designed with seats and lids that go down. Use them. If you don't like having to lift the seat, install a urinal.

#69 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 15 November 2007 - 04:43 PM

I always leave the toilet seat down... not because there's a woman in my house (she uses her bathroom anyway), but because we hav e salt water toilets and diatoms encrust the bowl if you let light in.

And my dear cmt489 we need the toilet seat UP far more times than we need it down.

Edited by drbill, 15 November 2007 - 04:45 PM.

#70 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

And my dear cmt489 we need the toilet seat UP far more times than we need it down.

Yeah, why can't you just look before you sit? We do!

Or, I just piss in the bowl with the seat down. Hell, I'm not the one that has to sit on it next! :wakawaka:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#71 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:45 PM

Ok, I hate to hijack a thread, but this has always been one of my pet peeves! Do women not have hands? How come they never leave it UP for us? :wakawaka:

News flash - guys need to have the seat down on many occassions as well. Further, it looks disguisting to have a toilet with the seat up and, IMO, is unhygenic. Toilets are designed with seats and lids that go down. Use them. If you don't like having to lift the seat, install a urinal.

Actually, I always leave the seat AND lid down, since I prefer my dogs drink from the water bowl. But I also think that seat position is the responsibilty of the sitter, not the guy...
Drew Z.

#72 ScubaDrew

ScubaDrew

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 05:47 PM

Yeah, why can't you just look before you sit? We do!

Or, I just piss in the bowl with the seat down. Hell, I'm not the one that has to sit on it next! :wakawaka:

Yeah! If ya'll can start to pee without looking, so can we!
Drew Z.

#73 pmarie

pmarie

• PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Cert Level:Playing at Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 November 2007 - 06:07 PM

I needed a good laugh, I have never understood why the seat/lid is such a huge issue. I do prefer both down, for the pet reasons; and it just looks better.

I also look before I sit, even when I am the only one living in the house!!

pmarie

#74 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 16 November 2007 - 12:51 PM

Toilets are designed with seats and lids that go down. Use them.

...and that also keeps the dog out of it too... :cheerleader:
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#75 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,592 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:09 PM

In my experience...and in talking to many singles and couples...I have found the #1 reason....relationship complacency...
In saying this ...I have to revert back to the early days of dating that one person...Every day is special....we primp...go thru hair fuss days..we buy that special perfume...or cologne ...we take them to their favorite place...we dress for them....we say all the right things...

then once hooked.....we lay alound and veg out...what we relied on in the past is covered over in work...being tired...or straight out lazy....in our relationships...
Making Love becomes a chore....or bland...it was exciting in the beginning....so what happened???

Heres a couple of recommendations...

For those who want new ideas....try "52 invitations to great sex" by Laura Corn...
Now these ideas are great for dating too....there are 26 hers...and 26 his...and it adds a whole newness to a trealtionship....try it ...and add diving in the mix too!!...oh...and Guys....always...remember...put the seat down when finished....

Next time your at that favorite beach get some sand....and a favorite bottle of wine....when you finish that romantic moment...either on the beach....or wherever...then add the sand and cork.....then on a special day just for her....try this guys....about 6 dozen roses petals removed and scattered from the front door to the master bath....where you have lit several candles ( her favorite scent)...have her bath drawn...and after try a nice warm oil massage after her hard day...oh...and in the tub....a love poem all rolled up....in that bottle with the sand.....and the music....."time in a bottle"....

She will think now you do remember the little things....

Diamonds are optional!!

Have a Bubbly day!!....
Doc

Um WOW!!! Great idea! And great post! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users