• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#61 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,683 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:46 PM

Hey coppermaus, I think a fitting ending to your story would be to go find the guy and say "Hi, remember me? When you get the sexual harassment suit filed against you and your shop, I'll sign it "8", just to remind you of my name. And when I then OWN the dive shop, you will be the first one fired".
That should keep him sweating for the next few months.

Good one!!! I'll remember that!!! LOL!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#62 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:47 PM

Idiots like this instructor are not worth the air to mutter a response. On the other hand, if I still drank like I did when I was in the Navy, my response might have been very similar to Erin's. Just remember, even with a brain, this guy would be a "one." I am really to the point of not much caring about a woman's physical assets in any single regard anyways. It is their wit, charm, fire, and poise (did I mention intelligence?) that draw me.

I was on a dive trip to Provo and one of the WIVES make a snide comment about the size of one of the DM's "front mounted BC's". I was shocked to hear a woman ask me if the DM I noticed was the one with the huge chest (I am phrasing this very politely when I say this. The "lady" used cruder terms.) Granted I was talking about the charms of one of the female DM's but I was talking about the one doing most of the dive briefings. I was talking with her and enjoying the conversation (but, she was taken, oh well). I honestly hadn't noticed the chest size on the unmarried DM that was charming all of the guys. I am assuming that the lady was being catty, but it was still unappreciated.

I am truly sorry that ladies have to put up with this nonsense.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#63 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 April 2004 - 04:34 AM

Brian,

Knowing you, I believe you when you say, "It is their wit, charm, fire, and poise (did I mention intelligence?) that draw me." OTOH, it's hard to believe you when you say, "I honestly hadn't noticed the chest size on the unmarried DM that was charming all of the guys." While I agree chest size isn't and shouldn't be an issue, I notice it and other physical characteristics of people I meet, especially if I've already been drawn to their wit, charm, fire, poise and intelligence.

Walter
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#64 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:18 AM

Brian,

Knowing you, I believe you when you say, "It is their wit, charm, fire, and poise (did I mention intelligence?) that draw me." OTOH, it's hard to believe you when you say, "I honestly hadn't noticed the chest size on the unmarried DM that was charming all of the guys." While I agree chest size isn't and shouldn't be an issue, I notice it and other physical characteristics of people I meet, especially if I've already been drawn to their wit, charm, fire, poise and intelligence.

Walter

Not when the other one was a good looking blonde her own right and a great person to talk to as well. Just because the one filled a bikini a little differently didn't bring her onto my radar screen. There were other women on that boat and I enjoy conversation too much, LOL. She just never showed up on the screen with other women that I liked more already there.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#65 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 07:25 AM

Just because the one filled a bikini a little differently didn't bring her onto my radar screen.

That's not what I said. I said once you noticed her, you would notice that along with other things.

I enjoy conversation too much

Not you!

DSSW,

WWW™

#66 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 09:46 AM

I enjoy conversation too much

Not you!

You know me too well on that front, LOL!

#67 VaScubaGirl

VaScubaGirl

Getting started

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 06:35 PM

back to the original post....wow...ideally I think I would have come up with something witty and sharp to say...but more than likely I would have been too stunned to respond. The guys I hang out with that I dive with I think would have taken care of the situation for me. Ugh...what a jerk!
Follow your bliss, just don't follow it too closely in case it stops suddenly!

#68 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 13 April 2004 - 11:31 PM

back to the original post....wow...ideally I think I would have come up with something witty and sharp to say...but more than likely I would have been too stunned to respond. The guys I hang out with that I dive with I think would have taken care of the situation for me. Ugh...what a jerk!

I think that you could probably handle it fairly well. I get the impression that most of the women on this board would rather humilate/slam/pound (well you get the idea...) this jerk themselves than feel like they are being taken care of.

(Besides, it is SO entertaining when women put a creep like this in his place! Then, we "good guys" buy the wronged woman a drink of her choice.)

#69 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 05:16 AM

Even if you prefer to let the guys handle it, you should be prepared to handle bad situations yourself for those times the guys aren't there.

DSSW,

WWW™

#70 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 14 April 2004 - 07:47 AM

Years ago I was on a date with a guy & one of his friends insulted me unbearably at a party. I was stunned, hurt, shaking like a leaf. My date stood there speechless himself. I told the guy "I have one thing to say to you." I had no idea what I was going to say. He asked "What" in a contemptuous tone of voice. Suddenly, I was across the room & had slapped him across the face so hard that I knocked him down. He was a great big guy- ex-football player type. I left immediately but was told later that the whole group there had actually laughed him out of the room.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#71 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 14 April 2004 - 11:04 AM

Years ago I was on a date with a guy & one of his friends insulted me unbearably at a party. I was stunned, hurt, shaking like a leaf. My date stood there speechless himself. I told the guy "I have one thing to say to you." I had no idea what I was going to say.  He asked "What" in a contemptuous tone of voice. Suddenly, I was across the room & had slapped him across the face so hard that I knocked him down. He was a great big guy-  ex-football player type. I left immediately but was told later that the whole group there had actually laughed him out of the room.

Damn, girl, that just makes me mad!! So sorry you were treated like that. I'm glad you knocked him on his ass. Sometimes there's nothing to say to someone so stupid and mean, nothing that a good smack to the floor and public ridicule doesn't say much better. So what did your date do? Come with you and apologize for having such a loser for a friend, I hope?
coppermaus

#72 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 14 April 2004 - 01:43 PM

Years ago I was on a date with a guy & one of his friends insulted me unbearably at a party. I was stunned, hurt, shaking like a leaf. My date stood there speechless himself. I told the guy "I have one thing to say to you." I had no idea what I was going to say. He asked "What" in a contemptuous tone of voice. Suddenly, I was across the room & had slapped him across the face so hard that I knocked him down. He was a great big guy- ex-football player type. I left immediately but was told later that the whole group there had actually laughed him out of the room.

It wasn't so long ago that if a man insulted your lady's honor, you'd be dueling pistols at dawn...

Have we moved so far from then that a man will stand silently by, doing nothing, while a jerk insults his lady in a crowd???

Marvel, I hope that in addition to putting the jerk in his place, you had some words for your date too. I would've left them both behind...

#73 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 06:03 PM

It wasn't so long ago that if a man insulted your lady's honor, you'd be dueling pistols at dawn...

Andrew Jackson (7th President of the US) married a divorced lady. There was one small problem. After they were wed, they discovered her divorce wasn't final. After the divorce was legally concluded, they were again married to make it legal. Because of this clerical error, they were technically not married the first time and therefore had carnal knowledge of each other outside the bounds of a legal marriage.

One man had the poor judgement to mention this situation. Jackson challenged him to a duel. Jackson took the first ball in the chest and then fired his shot, killing his opponent. You didn't insult Jackson's lady.

If he's reading this, I want to be clear, I mean no disrespect.

DSSW,

WWW™

#74 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox

Posted 14 April 2004 - 08:21 PM

Years ago I was on a date with a guy & one of his friends insulted me unbearably at a party. I was stunned, hurt, shaking like a leaf. My date stood there speechless himself. I told the guy "I have one thing to say to you." I had no idea what I was going to say.  He asked "What" in a contemptuous tone of voice. Suddenly, I was across the room & had slapped him across the face so hard that I knocked him down. He was a great big guy-  ex-football player type. I left immediately but was told later that the whole group there had actually laughed him out of the room.

Have we moved so far from then that a man will stand silently by, doing nothing, while a jerk insults his lady in a crowd???

Marvel, I hope that in addition to putting the jerk in his place, you had some words for your date too. I would've left them both behind...

Not to worry, I did! Understand, this happened 30 years ago- there's no sting or hurt left in me after so long. In retrospect it was so funny- there's me 17 years old, 5'5" ,115 lbs- there's him 25-ish, 6'4", 220 lbs or so. Opened handed slap-DOWN for the count! And this was before I spen 6 years studying martial arts.... :teeth:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#75 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:40 PM

I didn't say silently by. But many women are their own woman and want to handle their own issues. They don't want the guy acting like the woman is too weak to handle it.

It depends on the woman that I am dating and the situation. I remember when we were having a family dinner at parent's house of a lady that I had been seeing for 2 yrs. Her dad said some awful things OUTSIDE OF HER EARSHOT (or so I thought! I found out differently when we got home.), I told her dad to cram it and few other things. And this was a guy was in shape and outweighed me by a fair margin. I wasn't looking for a fight, but I wasn't going to hear that garbage. BTW, no fight happened. He shut up. :teeth:

Other times, I have had my !@!!@ chewed by my date because she didn't need me to defend her honor (in her POV). She just wanted me to stay beside her. That's cool too.

Face the facts, times have changed a bit. We sometimes have to change slightly to be with them.

In short, I respond according to the exact situation. Some creeps aren't even worth the air needed to snap back at them and the lady that I am with doesn't want a caveman or a knight. Sometimes she expects it and I will play that role with respect for her ability to speak for herself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users