• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How often do you date?

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

#61 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:46 PM

Yes, TF... hours. There are certain things I believe in DIR (actually most things)!

Oh ladies, just give me a sign (subtly of course)!

Dr. B.

#62 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:52 PM

what, starting-my-life-story-so-you-can-get-to-know-me-first wasn't good enough??

#63 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:51 PM

CT...i want to know the inner cave man theory...why don't you post it? i'll show you my wings if you show me yours kind of thing...

LOL... I thought this theory was going to cause a permanent rift between Brian and I when I first proposed it. We were discussing the gentleman vs. jerk thing at the time, and I kept saying men need to exhibit some backbone because chicks don't go for the spineless type...

So I came up with the theory of the inner cave-man, which goes something like this: ( embellished somewhat just to make it interesting for those who've heard it before )

Eons ago, in the dawn of human history, when chest hair was commonly seen on men AND women, and going clubbing meant something entirely different than it does today, women had a slightly different set of criteria when selecting dates and mates. Weakness wasn't an option women could settle for in that primitive time when survival was tough and rubbing two sticks together was the epitome of science. They needed to know that when a giant bear came prowling around the cave looking for a human snack, that her man was strong and fearless, and capable of protecting her and the cubs from harm.

Fast forwarding through time to the present, we find that while women don't have to shave their chests to look fetching in bikinis, they still retain a desire for strong men, on an instinctual level dating back to our cave man heritage. While we've had a load of BS forced down our throats recently about how women want a "sensitive" man, those who have given in to this theory wholeheartedly are usually are the ones watching from the sidelines, comforting their girl friends whenever they experiance another bad heartbreak at the hands of the jerks. The girls are attracted to the jerks because they are the ones exhibiting the qualities of strength that the inner cave-women are attracted to. My theory is that a man can be a gentleman, and sensitive to a woman's needs, but if he acts like a whipped sissy he's going to have more girl friends than girlfriends. He has to be in tune with his inner cave-man and exhibit the strength a woman wants in addition to the finer qualities. If a woman is going to make sacrifices, she'll probably sacrifice sensitivity before she sacrifices strength, hence my explanation for why some women will keep dating jerks time and time again even to the point of abuse in the most extreme cases.

So with a hearty "ooga booga", get out there and show them your inner cave-man guys. She'll have plenty of time to appreciate your fine, sensitive, qualities after you've impressed her by "dragging her back to your cave by the hair". :blink:

#64 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:00 PM

Interesting theory and probably with some merit. However today the characteristics for survival don't require a lot of physical strength and the ability to rub two sticks together. Intelligence has a higher value today, because often it is the mind that comes up with the strategies for survival rather than brute strength.

Money can be a surrogate for the ability to ensure the survival of a family. Good job likewise. Money does not always equate with intelligence (look at me, I'm reputedly very intelligent yet an impoverished scientist... er, not broke but not a Donald Trump. I can pay for my airfills though!). And despite my age, I can carry two steel tanks (one for me, one for my lady- that's my idea of diving doubles).

Dr. Bill

Edited by drbill, 09 May 2004 - 09:52 PM.

#65 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:18 PM

However today the characteristics for survival don't require a lot of physical strength

Yes, I'll grant you that, Dr. Bill, but it doesn't mean the ladies of today don't admire strength as a quality in the men they choose to date. Probably the reason football players are still getting all the votes for prom king instead of the geeky math wizards who oftentimes end up making more money in the long run. It's not a survival thing in the modern age, but the vestigal traces of neolithic man are still roaming the dating scene, trust me...

Ooga booga :teeth:

#66 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

Coming in late on this one, but better late than never. Dating. I have been out of a serious relationship for about 9 months. About 6 months ago I joined up on a couple of online dating sites. I also started getting bolder and actually asking out ladies I was interested in. Results just in... Cant seem to find anyone that will last past 3 dates. I have been out on probably 30 dates in the last 6 mo. Spent way too much money, between dinners, some new clothes, etc. Met 6 or 7 from the online thing, and some that I just ran into. Divers? Yeah right. Talk about narrowing your selection. I'm happy to meet someone thats not afraid of the water. I was set up on a blind date last night, she needed someone for a company sponsored benefit dinner and my friends girlfriend suggested me. You guessed it, afraid of the water, snorkeled once and really was frightned. She wasnt really ringing my bell anyway, but she was fun to hang out with. I think i would kill to find someone reasonably attractive, emotionally sound, intelligent, possessing a decent sense of humor and already dives.
My favorite, I have a posted profile on match.com, talks about adventure, diving etc, the last woman who I met from there (she contacted me), her favorite things to do, watch TV and go to church. Did she even read what I wrote? :teeth:

Any of you texas diver gals interested in relocating to Portland, Oregon, the land of mountains, rivers, greenery, and spectacular diving only 2 hours north? :welcome:

Yes, I do open doors, take out the trash, clean up my messes, call my mother on mothers day.

Whats a nice guy to do??

#67 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 09:54 PM

CT- I agree with the vestigial (?) behaviors that may stem from the Neolithic (or even earlier!). I've posted here or on SB my theory on the reasons why men are attracted to.... er, uh... let's just say a shapely lass!

Dr. B.

#68 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:01 PM

I really want to visit Oregon...I hear it's beautiful out there.
As far as your date...I tend to have an opposite problem. I get these guys that are like "I always wanted to dive...or I dive too!...Their def of diving....swimming to the bottom of the lake! What the heck...that's not diving. Not only that...but they act like they know everything about diving. Even though I am a newbie to the sport...I know they are wrong and making total a-s-s-e-s out of themselves. These types don't just do this with diving..they'll do it on any subject they think they know more about than me. My ex tried to tell ME something about football (not that I know everything or even pretend to know everythign about football..that's not the point here) last season.....I am the one who taught him how the game is played!!!!!
These types are so cocky and it drives me nuts. They see the word dive on my profile and just jump in there with all their knowledge (which = nothing!). Where do thess guys come from.

As far as the woman being scared after snorkeling...she wasn't worth your time anyways capt.

(Who the heck is afraid of that anways...it's so tame that 5 year olds do it!)
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#69 CaptainRonPdx

CaptainRonPdx

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Cert Level:TriMix Rebreather
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 10:36 PM

SH, send me an email, I will send you pics of oregon. It is really beautiful out here. I live on the columbia river, in my boat, just down from the gorge. I can see mount hood from the cabin door. Ron@tmishop.com

#70 nycamico

nycamico

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Cert Level:OW 2, Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 10 May 2004 - 07:51 AM

On this topic I can say I have not dated in 2 years- sheesh! Got divorced and have just been working on recovery and trying to figure things out. I also do not meet any single men, all my friends are married with kids. I check out the online dating sites, but haven't done anything about it yet. As you get older I think you definitely get less flexible about what you'll put up with- or choosier? I'm also still trying to work out how I could have been so wrong in my past choices - don't trust my instincts as far as men go. Anyway- it has been great to find this site and hear from others that I am not alone in datelessness!
:clapping:

#71 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:25 AM

CT- So the football players still get all the attention from the ladies, eh? Definitely true in my high school years. We competitive swimmers were much more buff (and intelligent), but relatively few ladies attended our meets. Sniffs. I consoled myself with the knowledge that most of the cheerleaders who went for the football players were blondes. I rest my case. Just teasing blondies.

SH- When I work as a marine biologist on the Lindblad "cruise ships," I occasionally have to teach people to snorkel. I'm amazed at how difficult it is for many of our passengers, especially the older folks. The kids usually take to it fairly quickly.

Dr. B.

#72 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:28 AM

Divers?  Yeah right.  Talk about narrowing your selection.
Any of you texas diver gals interested in relocating to Portland, Oregon, the land of mountains, rivers, greenery, and spectacular diving only 2 hours north? :clapping:

You've just narrowed the selection yourself!! LOL

(I guess I'm chopped liver - I'm not from Texas)

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#73 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:34 AM

Diverlady- don't fret. Oregonians rust due to the constant precipitation. Come to think of it, what's there to fear in a little water? We're all divers (and diverse).

Dr. B.

#74 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:27 AM

I want to know, how often do you ladies date?

Not often enough, which is why I'm on this board!
:teeth:

PS I love your signature line....too funny!
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#75 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:55 AM

Definitely true in my high school years. We competitive swimmers were much more buff (and intelligent), but relatively few ladies attended our meets.

Now there's something I never understood... At a swim meet, the girls get a chance to see buff athletes wearing skimpy, er, streamlined outfits, instead of fully clothed with all that padding to make them LOOK big. Oh well, some mysteries are never going to be explainable, at least by me.

I for one would rather watch the lady swimmers than the cheerleaders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users